From on top of the hill, Applejack could see the three members of her family. Big Macintosh was working the western field, trudging from tree to tree, giving a good kick to collect the apples. At the barn, Apple Bloom was tending to the livestock, currently wandering around the chicken coop, when she was supposed to be making sure it was without defect. Behind her, near the edge of Sweet Apple Acres, Winona loomed over Granny Smith’s grave, just as she had every night since her passing. With a sigh, she pulled her Stetson slightly downward and called out to her faithful dog. It took another call to bring Winona to her. She had to see how Big Mac was doing. Winona hobbled alongside. Along the way, she saw Twilight looking at her from the outer fence. She merely gave Twilight a nod before continuing on her way. She found him With another hard swallow, she spoke. “Hey, Big Mac.” He drearily looked up at her. Not even a nod. “Everything alright?” He glared at her crossly. Not the best choice of words. She hesitated before speaking again. “You need anything?” “Nope.” He bucked harder. “You sure?” “Eeyup.” The next buck cracked the trunk. “Okay,” she said without wavering. “Keep up the good work.” Holding back a sigh, she began walking towards the house. “I’m sorry.” It was soft, but loud enough for her to hear. She immediately turned back and, before he could resume working, placed a hoof on his withers. “Don’t worry about it. It’s hard, but we’ll get through it.” After a lengthy hug, she went off and left big Mac to work. Twilight continued watching her, but she continued on regardless. [i]AJ, why’re you so adamant on doing this by yourself?[/i] [i]I just gotta, Twi![/i] [i]You’re in over your head![/i] Getting closer to Apple Bloom showed Applejack what she already knew: she was angry. Her steps were stomps, her inspection was with a scowl, her breaths were snorts. Once Bloom saw her sister, she turned away. “How’s the coop—“ “Don’t e-even start!” Apple Bloom began walking the other way. “What’d I do?” “You’re-you’re having m-me out here, l-l-looking at this stupid chicken coop—“ She bucked it, causing it to quake. “F-for no reason at all!” “That’s not true, sugarcube,” Applejack replied softly. “We need to make sure everything’s up and running. With Granny Smith gone—“ “It’s not fair!” Apple Bloom rushed into her. “I-it’s not fair!” She couldn’t say anything. Granny Smith had died of natural causes, it was her time to go. Life had been completely fair. She knew the day would have to come sooner or later. “C-can’t we get somepony else to look at this stuff?” Apple Bloom’s eyes were wide. Winona whimpered in sentiment. “Can’t we just—“ “I’m sorry, Apple Bloom.” Applejack wrapped her in the softest hug she could. “We all have to pitch in now, to make sure nothing goes wrong.” A huff. “Something’s already gone wrong.” “Yeah, and we can’t fix that.” Applejack looked her sister square in the eye. “But we need to keep it together, okay? We’re Apples, and we stick together.” She got a teary nod. “Now you go on and get some water. We still have stuff to do.” As Apple Bloom galloped towards the house, she turned to see Big Mac staring at her. Repressing a sigh, she motioned for him to take a break as well. In the distance, she saw Twilight continuing to look at her. She finally let a sigh escape her, a heavy one that caused her entire body to droop. Immediately, she held up a hoof. Twilight stopped flying, and with a coax from Applejack’s bidding hoof, she backed away. She rose, and, making sure Twilight wouldn’t interfere, picked up Big Mac’s baskets and began bucking. The apples went into the nearest barrel, and she continued on to the next tree. Then the next. And the next after. Sweet Apple Acres needed a strong leader. She, Mac and Bloom would eventually have to manage on their own. She had figured it was better to begin early. Was it the best decision? Was she making a mistake? She had no idea. In the distance, Bloom and Mac were hugging each other tightly, with Winona lay next to Mac’s legs. She hadn’t even realized that she was alone. In a single moment, the three looked at her. She smiled, and gave the next tree a powerful buck.