Celestia stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her mane was a mess. Hair stuck out in every direction, and ends were split. There were dark bags under her eyes, and they also looked red and puffy. Celestia reached out to the hairbrush with her magic, and began to work on combing the knots out. There was a bang on the door behind her, but she ignored it. The door exploded into the room, flying off its hinges and showering the red carpet with wooden splinters. Celestia could see the reflection of Luna as she stepped through the doorway. Her sister made her way to a spot behind Celestia and slightly to the side, so they could both see each other’s faces in the mirror, and then she sat on her haunches. “Didn’t you get the message?” Celestia said eventually. “I told my guards not to let you in.” Luna nodded. “With how powerful the lock spell was, it was obvious.” Celestia winced as she pulled through a tighter knot. “I hope you didn’t hurt any of my guards.” Luna huffed and looked away. “What do you take me for?” Celestia stopped for a moment, holding the comb still in the air. She took a long moment to look into the eyes of Luna’s reflection. “I’m not sure.” “I am not a heartless monster!” Luna raised her voice as she stomped a hoof, but it wasn’t quite a shout. “And neither are you!” Celestia felt like rebuking the other Alicorn, but instead remained silent. She went back to working on her mane. Luna sighed and relaxed. “Look, I know you’re upset. I’m the only pony in Equestria who understands what you’re going through. But you’re not thinking rationally right now. Sleep on it, and in the morning you’ll come to your senses.” “I’m tired of thinking rationally,” Celestia said. “I’ve been thinking rationally for thousands of years, and nothing has changed. Rational is nothing but painful.” Celestia put the hairbrush back onto the dresser, although her mane still lacked most of its usual luster. She looked back at Luna over her shoulder. “Help me put on some makeup.” Luna stared at Celestia, unmoving. Eventually she got up with a long sigh, and came over to sit beside her sister with a frown. “Are you really prepared to cause the suffering and deaths of millions?” “Our ponies are good,” Celestia said. “They won’t do that.” “I believe so too, sister.” Luna brought out a makeup kit with her magic. She dipped a soft brush into some powder, and began to gently dab it onto Celestia’s bags. “But you know there’s always a chance. Once you cast that spell, it’s permanent. We won’t be able to stop them anymore.” Celestia felt a part of herself bubble with pleasure at Luna’s touch. She always enjoyed being doted on like this by her sister, even though this was hardly the time. “I can’t do it anymore, Luna,” Celestia said quietly. “I can’t watch another pony I love die. This was the last one, I swear it. Old age, disease… it’s so unnecessary, and we know the cure to it all. We just need to have the courage to trust our ponies.” Luna moved on to applying the second layer. “What we need is to continue our research. There has to be a way to make them all immortal without making them all Alicorns. The idea of every citizen having the power to level a city with a thought… it would be as if Discord ruled once again.” Celestia shook her head gently enough not to disturb Luna. “I haven’t been idle while you were gone. I’ve tried every single thing I could think of. It’s impossible. This is the only way.” Luna pulled away, and Celestia looked at herself in the mirror. She looked mostly presentable, although there were still some visible signs of her distress. Still, it was acceptable. She stood up and started walking for the blasted doorway. “Even if that is true, ponies are living peaceful lives,” Luna said. “Do you truly wish to let them destroy each other?” Celestia looked back at her sister, who still sat by the mirror. “They won’t. I will continue to guide them, as I always have.” Luna exhaled deeply. “You’ve always guided Equestria well. Better than I have. I hope you can make the right decision this time too.” “Don’t worry, my sister. I will make the right decision.” Celestia walked into the hallway.