Not knowing you will be As gentle and empty As every day I've wasted already. I will not dream of you I won't wonder after you Nothing will draw me to your eyes. But on the day we finally meet Though I won't suddenly feel complete I think it will be something like familiar. Getting to know you will be A pallid journey to see The inner lives we plan to share. Like stagnant water pooling over Like fields of only clover We'll note each other only tepidly. And on the day I think it's love Though no trumpets scream above I think it will be something like familiar. Loving you will be Though I'd try to say "happy" An ultimately useless use of time. We'll be better off than separately At least we'll say that constantly Every morning and night we have to share. And on the day it all turns sour Though I know not day or hour I think it will be something like familiar. Hating you will be The most you've ever felt for me And the day I realize that I'll laugh for hours. Screaming and silence around As the most energy to abound Between us for all our time together. And when it all collapses In rage but not in gaspses I think it will finally be new. And love was never there to remain But I'll feel burning in my veins The only fire I'll know my whole life.