The fire kept the Canterlot winter away as Lapis Lazuli lay by the fireplace and stared into the flames. Individual tongues of fire appeared and disappeared, and much more quickly than the colored leaves had done months ago. Glancing out the window, he saw the barren tree in the front yard swaying in the wind and snow. Shivering, he tucked his legs and tail closer. Hoofsteps prompted him to look over his shoulder. “I made us hot cocoa,” said Fluorite as she approached. Lapis eagerly accepted the mug from Fluorite’s outstretched hoof. “Thanks, love.” He sipped and swallowed, and felt momentarily warm. Fluorite lay down next to him and leaned against his neck, then sighed contentedly. “What a year,” she said, reminiscing. Lapis’s ears fell as he stared back at the fire. “Yeah.” He felt Fluorite raise her head. “I meant for us.” Lapis Lazuli cast a sidelong glance at the gemstone in the middle of her necklace--his namesake. He caught himself starting to smile, but allowed the feeble feeling to fade. “You remember our first trip to Canterlot, don’t you? For the Summer Sun Celebration?” “How could I forget?” he answered. And he hadn’t. The planning, the secrecy, the jeweler’s shop, the bended knee and passionate embrace; he got off the train with his marefriend, but embarked with his fiancée. “But the Empire...” he said, continuing the thought his memories had begun. "I know." She paused. "But there’ll be another Summer Sun Celebration next year. They’re making it an annual event. It'll be [i]more[/i] special for [i]us[/i],” she said. He turned to face her, and saw the fire reflected in her crystal eyes--dancing patterns of white and yellow. Almost before he could react, she leaned in and gave him a brief kiss. She then drew back and licked her lips. “Mmm. Cocoa kiss.” Lapis chuckled and licked his own lips before lowering his head to his mug. He raised his head prematurely when he heard a knock at the door. He and Fluorite exchanged glances. “Who could that be?” He rose and went to the front door. A quick peek through the peephole revealed a tall white unicorn wearing a winter coat. He opened the door, inviting in the winter wind, but standing between the stranger and the warmth. “Hello?” “You don’t know me,” the mare began, “but all the inns and the trains out of town are booked. I’ve no place to stay the night, and no relatives to board with. Would you--take me in for the night?” Lapis contemplated for several seconds. “Y-yes. Of course.” He stepped aside and gestured with his hoof, ushering her inside. “Come join us by the fire,” he invited. Fluorite’s eyes met them as they entered the living room. “Who's this?” “Fluorite, this is--” he paused awkwardly, suddenly realizing he hadn't asked the mare’s name. “M-my name is G-golden Ray,” she answered, shivering. Lapis hadn’t noticed her shivering a moment ago. “She’s our guest,” he added. Fluorite perked up at that last word, then stood up and began walking towards the kitchen. “Make yourself at home. I’ll bring you some cocoa.” As Fluorite left the room, Lapis and Golden entered. Lapis watched Golden’s gaze jump from one decoration to the next. Yet she seemed drawn to the decorations opposite the Hearth’s Warming dolls on the mantle: a crystal and a pair of candles. “What is the meaning behind the candles and the crystal?” Lapis sighed as he joined her by the mantle. “My fiancée and I are crystal ponies.” Golden nodded. “If we had been there during the coup…” he shook his head. “The candles--are for our vigil.” Golden slowly took a step back. She closed her eyes and bowed her head, wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her coat. “A vigil through--the night...” She turned her head to face him. “Forgive my deception. I knew you were crystal ponies, and I decided to visit for the holiday. I know you've lost everything. Instead, you have given something special to me.” She lit her horn and unbuttoned her coat as she stepped sideways towards him. “Thank you.” Lapis’s confusion grew when he felt something like a foreleg on his back, only softer. He looked back to see a large white wing holding him in the mare’s embrace. In shock, his head spun to face the mare. The alicorn raised a single feather to her lips. “Shh,” she whispered. Though tears were in her eyes, a smile was on her face.