The handling of Mr. Valdemar's case had been a resounding failure. The quick rotting away of his body as soon as we had endeavoured to wake him up, the hollow, ominous sound of his voice, the noisome stench of his decayed flesh, had shocked and revulsed the assistance. In the wake of the incident, many staunch supporters of our society had walked out and disowned us. I was not satisfied, and neither was Dr. F—, so we decided to carry on with our experiments. There was, however, one difficulty: the most indelicate amongst our former associates had spoken out about the gruesome aspects of Mr. Valdemar's death, and it is an understatement to say that the name of our society had been expunged of most scientists' and aristocrats' good books. Even the police had asked for clarification about our business. That is why we resolved to move away from London and pursue our quest in a quieter place. Fortunately, Dr. F— still owned a large mansion set in a vast expanse of green outside Newcastle, far into the north, were we could continue our research at ease. Once we settled there, it was an easy task to locate a suitable patient, for Dr. F—'s fame as former royal family's physician was still unblemished by the slanders of our London's opponents. Mrs. H— had been suffering from an incurable form of consumption. When Dr. F— had proposed her to spend her last days in one of the luxurious chambers of his manor, away from her squalid attic, she had consented. Once installed there, we had watched over her affectionately day and night, taking turns to insure we wouldn't miss the moment of her passing. The fourteenth day after Mrs. H— arrival, she awoke at midnight with a fit of heavy cough, spitting out considerable quantities of blood and phlegm. Having given her a bowl to gather her expectorations, I awoke F— at once. He found that she had lost most of her blood. Her pulse was flimsy, and her breathing hardly perceptible at all. He nodded to me, and I picked up the locket I used to mesmerise patients with. Without delay, I began the magnetic passes which would put our dying host into a deep trance. Mrs. H— turned out to be very receptive, and in less than one minute I noticed the unmistakable signs which betray the entrance into this altered state. "Mrs. H—, can you hear me?" I asked. There was a long pause as Mrs. H— mustered her failing strength to respond. "Yes, I can," came the answer at last, in a whisper. "Mrs. H—, until I free you, you will faithfully answer either my or Dr. F—'s questions. Do you understand?" "Yes. I will." "Are you in pain?" "No, not at all," she replied, and I let out a sigh of relief. We would never had proceeded with the experiment had our guest been subjected to unbearable throes. "Are you asleep?" "Yes. Please, let me at peace until I die," she breathed, and I shuddered as I remembered Mr. Valdemar's last words. Suddenly Mrs. H—'s face changed. As in our previous experiment, it was as if what life remained in her had been snuffed out. Her sallow skin turned grey and her cheeks dimpled inwards while her eyes rolled up. "Mrs. H—, can you hear me?" Although I had already witnessed Mr. Valdemar answering my questions from the nethermost regions of the grave, the hollow, utterly inhuman voice which replied, [i]without our guest's tongue or lips moving[/i], sent a shuddering down my spine. "Yes. Leave me alone, for I am dead now." I turned to F—. "I want an exact report of this," I said. "Let me fetch a pen and a notebook. Please don't do anything in my absence. I shall be back at once." F— nodded. I rushed downstairs. Unfortunately, I had forgotten about F— famous impatience. Halfway through the stairs, I heard him whispering something to Mrs. H—. I was about to turn around and protest when the lights unexpectedly went out. Plunged into darkness, I stopped short. Then came a sudden icy draught, the slamming of Mrs. H—'s bedroom door, followed by a heavy thud. A second after, the lights turned back on. I sprang upwards and ran to the bedroom. I flung the door open and froze. F—'s lifeless body lay on the floor, while Mrs. H—'s face had assumed an expression of intense felicity.