“Do you know why I called you to my office?” Ocellus asked, looking up briefly from her paperwork. Although the etiquette that her hive had taught her tried hard to override her actions, she figured that this would get the attention of the pony across the desk. Credit Chip glowered at her, keeping his head high and his forelegs folded. Just like his mother and father told him how to show respect or contempt, in this matter. He was going to be a hard cookie to crack. Mostly, the colt had stayed silent during these school disciplinary sessions. All the other teachers had tried and failed to motivate him, including Professor Pie, and that was saying something. She smelled the sharpness of his anger. Already now he wanted to be elsewhere more than here. “So, I heard you had a fight with Mrs. Scootaloo,” Ocellus said to break the silence. “Which is the reason why they sent me to you so you can interrogate me.” Chip scoffed. He eyed the bowl on her desk. “Can I have one?” “No, these are only for the students with good hearts.” Ocellus pulled open a drawer and slid the bowl into the desk. “Look, this would go smoother if you tell me why you fought with miss Scootaloo.” “Nah, I’ll think I’ll wait until Interrogation time is up.” he turned back to look at the clock. Ocellus gauged the atmosphere. Still a strong spice of anger filled the air like somepony chopped open a Jalapeno. Still though, she detected something in the air― a slight tinge of something that didn’t completely fit. Professor Scootaloo had told her about the parents of Chip; Diamond Tiara and Pipsqueak. She already had talked with them before, trying to ask them any questions that might help her counsel their son. Mostly, they showed concern for their troubled colt. He needed some friends. Good friends. She figured that starting with the parents would be a good idea. “Your parents are worried about you.” “I figured.” Chip replied. “Look, if you are going to play the card of ‘oh, your parents want you to succeed’, I’ve heard that one before.” Ocellus listened closely. As per usual, just like Mrs. Scootaloo said, that trick didn’t work. However, she felt something different about his answer- a discrepancy between what he said and how he felt. Suddenly, she asked, “Did your parent’s force you to come to this school?” She hoped that guess was close enough. Something twisted, she tasted a thin layer of longing, before it was drowned back in the spicy burn of anger. “Sorry! I didn’t mean to pry!” Ocellus cowered back in her chair, shifting her persona to make herself seem less threatening. “Have you talked to your mother about this?” “Busy.” “Father?” Chip shook his head and rolled his eyes. “Why don’t you ask them for some of their time?” Ocellus said. “I’m sure that your mother would understand if you just told her how you feel.” “What would she know?” Chip said. “She’s been pushing the bill for me to come to this school, like you said.” Ocellus shook her head. “Has she told you about her past?” “NONONO.” Chip waved his hooves frantically. “She told me that she will tell me when I’m old enough to understand.” Ocellus couldn’t help but smile. “It’s not my place to reveal it, but I highly recommend that you ask your mother now. I’d would’ve expected that what she’d experienced way back would make her think twice about her methods of raising a colt.” Chip squinted at Ocellus. The odd taste of confusion filled the air- like the aftertaste of a diet soda. “I think it has to do with how she was raised though.” Ocellus put a hoof to her chin. “How Grandmother Rich treated her is probably why she’s inadvertently strong-forelegging you into going to Friendship School.” Chip’s expression softened. “I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but still, It couldn’t hurt to ask now.” Ocellus winked. She opened up the drawer, plucked out a candy, then threw it at him. Chip caught the zot. “I thought these were for the students who are good.” “No, I said they are for the students with good hearts.” She closed her drawer. Chip’s Jaw hung open. “You’re welcome.” Ocellus looked at the clock. “Now go! We went over the time limit! Your mother is probably waiting outside.”