Celestia couldn’t believe what she saw in her mirror. A tiny dab of gray floated adrift in the sea of her prismatic mane, like an ink blot spilled from an errant quill. She trembled as she lifted her hoof to touch it, to confirm it was real, and that she wasn’t simply hallucinating. Her chest tightened. Instead of parting like flowing water, the gray spot stopped her hoof, as if it were a lump lodged in her mane. Its surprisingly hard texture caused her to recoil. She took a deep breath, and extended her hoof a second time. The dab, or lump, or whatever it was—it was real. Celestia lightly prodded it with her magic, attempting to restore the spot to its former luster, with no effect. She cast a second spell, stronger this time, but again to no avail. Magic couldn’t help. [i]It’s too soon.[/i] Celestia caught herself frowning in the mirror and carefully adjusted her expression back to warm mentor persona. She stood there, in front of the mirror, silently considering her options, before striding over to her dresser and retrieving a hair tie. [i]They can’t see you like this. Not yet.[/i] Celestia had never been fond of hair ties, so much so that she hadn’t touched one in over a hundred years. She preferred to let her mane flow freely. But desperate times called for desperate measures. She clumsily attempted to wrangle her hair into a regal bun that would hide the spot. She couldn’t help but quietly chuckle at the visage staring her back in the mirror. Her lack of stylistic experience was obvious by the slipshod rounding of the bun, filled with bumps and stray hair follicles. This would not do. Celestia needed help. From someone she could trust. [hr] When Luna saw her, haphazardly constructed bun and all, she broke out laughing. Long, almost donkey-like guffaws. “Sister! Be serious.” Celestia’s cheeks burned red. Luna wiped a tear from her eye. “Sorry, dear sister… It’s just…” She struggled to hold back the giggles. “This reminds me of when we were young, and you’d steal mom’s makeup, and you’d end up looking like a racoon. You never did have an eye for style.” Celestia gritted her teeth, cringing at that particular memory. She inhaled. “Luna.” She fondled her mane uncomfortably. “I’m sorry.” The somberness of Celestia’s tone shocked her sister into silence. “For what, sister?” “I-I’m…” Celestia stumbled finding the words. “I’m dying.” “What?” Luna’s eyes widened. “Are you sick? Did someone curse you? What happened?” “No, no.” Celestia chuckled wryly. “Nothing so dramatic. But I’m no longer immortal. I haven’t been for a while now, actually. Not since…” Luna put two and two together. “Twilight. She has your power now.” “Yes.” Celestia smiled. “I’m sorry.” Luna grabbed her sister by the shoulders. “No! I have just returned, and now you plan to leave me?” “We were never meant to rule forever, dear sister. My kingdom is a beautiful garden I have tended lovingly for generations, waiting, for a new caretaker to sow new seeds. To preserve what I built, yet add new life. I could never have a child, but Twilight is my daughter.” “But…” Luna loosened her grip. “I understand.” “But she and Equestria can’t know. Not yet. She would blame herself. Or worse, they would blame her. Help me hide this spot.” Luna shook her head. “Sister, you trust Twilight, right? Enough to give up your eternal life and entrust your kingdom to her?” “Absolutely.” “Yet you won’t tell her the truth about what you’ve done?” “Not yet. It’s too soon.” Luna groaned. “Your hypocrisy astounds me. How can you lie to the mare you’re planning on trusting your life’s work to?” She slapped Celestia firmly across the face. The slap left a red mark across Celestia’s pristine alabaster face. “Luna…” “No! Your weakness disgusts me. I will not assist you. Prove to me that mare, that student you had so much faith in, is worth your death. If she is as capable as you say, she will take this news in stride! Prove to me…” Luna began to break down. “Prove to me that that mare is worth losing my sister.” Celestia brought her sister into a tight embrace. She felt her own tears running down her cheeks. “Okay.” She let her hair flow loose, letting the gray spot stand in full display. Perhaps it wasn’t too soon. Perhaps the time was just right.