Twenty years after Celestia passed and the Exodus began, Applejack trotted through the empty streets of Ponyville, headed back from the post office. Not many ponies had stuck around once the other world opened, but enough merchants still lived in town to keep things chugging along. For the third harvest in a row, the apple blight had struck their orchard, leaving most of their yearly crop inedible. And for the third harvest in a row, Applejack sent a letter direct to Princess Luna, asking for magical assistance. Not that Applejack ever got a response—the public hadn’t seen hide nor hair of Luna in years. That left Applejack and Big Mac to scrounge up what few crops that remained, help out the ponies who needed it, and survive. Haunches aching, Applejack kept her head low. As she passed an abandoned flower shop, however, her entire body perked up at a familiar voice. “I’ll see you soon, Davenport,” said Twilight, walking out another shop's door. “I promise, it’ll be great!” The two locked eyes. Twilight flew forward and wrapped Applejack in a hug. “Applejack, it’s been so long! I’ve missed you so much; [i]we’ve[/i] missed you.” Applejack bristled at the sly reminder, but smiled. “I’ve missed you too, sugarcube. I hope you didn’t think you could come back to Ponyville and not visit this old mare, did you?” “You, old? Please. And I was about to stop by Sweet Apple Acres.” Twilight shook her head. “I needed a break; it’s been such a crazy year. We’ve finally got all the treaties worked out, everyone’s been relocated. We’ve even finished introducing magic to all the humans! It's a new friendship utopia!” Applejack kept smiling. “It’s been five years.” “Huh?” Twilight blinked, then chuckled. “Oh, duh! Time here runs five times faster than on Earth. Sorry.” “It’s alright.” Applejack’s gaze drifted over the run-down buildings lining the streets. “It’s been crazy here, too. So many ponies have left. And I’m supposed to be helping feed everypony in town, but now the crops...” She saw Twilight’s smile growing and stopped. “I think I can solve all your problems,” Twilight said. “I’ve found a [i]perfect[/i] patch of land on Earth for you to start a new farm! Fifteen-hundred acres of unoccupied land, right on the coast, perfect for growing apples. With Earth’s population growing so fast, we need more farmers. You’d love it.” Applejack sighed. “I told you, I’m not going. Equestria is my home. My kinfolk have worked this soil for generations; I ain't throwing away all their hard work.” Twilight’s ears flattened. “Right.” Applejack raised a brow. “And what does that mean?” “I wish you weren’t so stubborn. Things are so much better on Earth! Medicine is so advanced, entertainment is endlessly diverse. On Earth, you can carry a million songs in a device smaller than your hoof!” “That’s not the reason everypony jumped ship.” “And?” Twilight’s smile returned, sharper. “Ponies can live five times longer on Earth than here. Don’t you want that? For Big Mac? For yourself?” Applejack stared at Twilight’s polished hooves, across from her own cracked ones. “All our friends are there already,” Twilight said. “So is Apple Bloom.” “How is she?” Applejack asked, head snapping up. “Is she alright?” “She’s doing great,” Twilight said. She touched Applejack's shoulder. “Everyone is doing great. We’re all waiting for you, AJ. We miss you.” “I miss you too. More than anything,” Applejack said. She gritted her teeth, forced herself to look at Twilight. “But I’m not leaving Equestria behind, or the other ponies who still live here. Unlike—” She bit down the words she so wanted to say. Twilight scowled anyway. “Do you think I hate Equestria? I’m doing what’s best for everyone! If I know a way to let all my friends live longer, don’t I have a responsibility to help them? Or should I just let them die before their time?” “Before their—? What about us back home here?” Applejack shouted. She stomped her hoof. “It doesn’t matter why we haven’t left! You’re our princess, our [i]friend[/i]. We’re dying out here. We need you too.” Twilight wilted away. “I’m trying my best, Applejack. But emmigrating an entire civilization isn’t easy; I’ve got a lot of weight on my shoulders. I’m only human.” Her words hung between them. Applejack walked away. “Nice to see you, Twi.” “Wait,” Twilight called, but Applejack broke into a sprint, ignoring the creaking in her joints, the pain jolting up her side with every step.