Yesterday had been the craziest day in Cranky Doodle Donkey's life. It had also been the happiest. Cranky quietly sat down at his writing desk, then turned and looked over his shoulder. His new wife, Matilda, dozed peacefully in their bed. It was still very early, so he took pains not to wake her. It had become a welcome routine. Over the past few months since she'd moved in, Cranky would wake up every morning, kiss her on the cheek, and slip out of bed to start his day. Not with breakfast or coffee—he would wait the necessary hour or two for her to get up so that he could share the moment with her. His day began with [i]writing[/i], as it always did. Cranky had been penning a dramatic romance novel for many years now. Even back when he spent each day searching for Matilda, a donkey needs a tangible hobby. He picked up writing, and it kept him going during the darkest of times. His book, now novel-length, was nearing completion. All that remained to write was the final chapter. Ponies he'd shown the book to universally loved it. Maybe he'd become a professional writer? At the very least, he'd be able to share this one remarkable piece of his heart with the rest of Equestria. The donkey turned, picked up his quill, and dipped it into the inkwell. He opened the current draft of his book for reference, and placed a fresh sheet of parchment below it on the writing surface. Then he held his pen on the paper until the place it touched began to bleed ink into a large dot. Cranky set the quill down again. He stared at the empty canvas, puzzled. Something was [i]different[/i] this morning. Cranky had never before experienced this kind of happiness. Although his depression abated months ago when he found Matilda, there was something curious about finally being married to her. It was real now, no longer just a half-baked fantasy. Matilda was his, and he was hers, and there was no pretending otherwise. He had no choice but to accept the facts. It made sense for Cranky to be nervous before the wedding. He never thought much of himself, certainly not that he'd be worthy of a mare like Matilda. More importantly, throughout his search for Matilda, he'd grown blind to the absurd unreality of his task. They had met only briefly, many years ago. He cried the day he lost her, and although his depression deepened over the years, he never cried again. He wanted to die, but it didn't feel sad to him—just numb and hollow. All his emotional energy had been channelled into his quest and his newfound passion for writing. Soon after he found Matilda, Cranky realised how foalish his love for her had been. His mental picture of her was, naturally, idealistic and incomplete. It wasn't at all realistic to expect she would love him back, or that she'd still be single, or even that she'd remember who the hay he was. Nonetheless, she still fancied him, and their love grew. After Matilda moved in, his bliss turned to paranoia. He still couldn't justify why they were in love. It was so unlikely they'd be compatible! Despite the long odds, they quickly became accustomed to each other's idiosyncrasies. They would quarrel, but respectfully. The virtue of friendship always bound them together. It was a miracle. There was no other word for it. Cranky and Matilda were truly in love, whether or not it made sense. It must have been destiny, he decided. Donkeys didn't know much about magic or fate, but they both accepted that this was meant to be. He couldn't understand [i]why[/i], but the 'why' didn't matter. Everything was perfect now, and the two of them would be together for the rest of their lives. [i]Married.[/i] He couldn't keep the silly smile off of his face. But as he looked down at the paper, the words still wouldn't come. He searched deep within, finding nothing. The wellspring within him was dryer than a burning barn. Then, it dawned on him. With that epiphany, he knew the words had left him forever. [i]Cranky Doodle Donkey had nothing left to say.[/i] He shut the book and sighed as the unfamiliar sensation of tears began to tickle his cheeks. But the silly smile hadn't left his muzzle, and his heart still sang with euphoria. Such a trivial price to pay for happiness, thought Cranky.