Jumbled conversations died away as the house lights dimmed, leaving only a few hurried whispers and polite coughs. From the side of the auditorium, a stallion decked out in coat and tails made his way to the conductor’s podium below the stage. As one, the musicians sat up a little straighter in their seats, eyes glued to their leader. Levitating a baton from his pocket, he tapped it against the podium, then held it aloft for a few long seconds. Finally, he stroked the downbeat. Launching into a rousing overture, the violins blazed along, punctuated with the occasional brass fanfare. His baton bobbing to the beat in midair, the conductor cued the flutes, then ordered the percussionists to quiet down a bit. As the music reached its closing crescendo, the entire orchestra sustained the last note until he slashed a hoof downward for the hard final drumbeat. The audience sat in rapt silence, disturbed only by the rustle of sheet music. When the conductor held his baton up again and started a playful melody, the heavy curtain parted, and a spot lit center stage, tracking an elegant dancer across the scenery. Apple Bloom’s hooves carried her deftly over the wooden flooring. She leapt and strutted on her hooftips, executing knee bends and twirls throughout the plywood forest. Her pulse quickening, she made a few spinning jumps to cross the stage. Each successfully landed brought a little more curl to the corners of her mouth until she wore a broad grin. Her initial jitters had turned to an electric tingling. Wide eyes and creased brow had given way to a fierce smile. No more foalish nerves. This moment was hers. After months of practice, execution wasn’t a question; only the options of spectacular or legendary remained. From the opposite end of the stage, a stallion entered, glancing around the clearing. Finally noticing Apple Bloom, he never let his gaze waver from her as he slid noiselessly from tree to tree, his mouth hanging agape. Apple Bloom turned a shoulder, most definitely not noticing the handsome stranger, as she frolicked among a cluster of flowers. From the corner of her eye, she saw him emerge from his cover and approach little by little. At the last moment, she turned to meet his stare, her ears pricking and her eyes sparkling. They locked hooves and spun through the glade until their momentum carried them apart. She charged back toward him, gaining speed until she took a flying leap into his outstretched hooves. Lifting her up, he spun her around and around until he lowered her to the ground, bent over her in a tender kiss. Her cheeks had long since flushed when he looked up in praise to the sky, but... she didn’t rise. The stallion collapsed to the stage, bitter tears coursing down his cheeks as the orchestra struck a final dissonant chord. Her eyes finally opening to the thunderous applause, Apple Bloom stood among the rain of roses. She had looked to her sister’s tear-streaked face in the front row when a flash of light caught her attention. She glanced along her side and saw... a cutie mark? A ballet slipper! “[i]Ahem[/i]” Apple Bloom shook the fog out of her head and looked up at the hoof tapping on her desk and its owner’s frown. “That’s detention, young filly,” Cheerilee said. [hr] “We’re going to fix up some of the playground equipment,” Cheerilee explained. “I’ll paint the swingset. Why don’t you pull those old boards off the playhouse? Then you can go home.” Apple Bloom rolled her eyes and trudged off. Better to get it over with. She had all the half-rotted boards removed within minutes, then looked with a growing smile at the hammer. This wasn’t so bad. In less than half an hour, she had the whole exterior rebuilt, with a fresh coat of paint to boot. Applejack had just arrived to walk her home when Apple Bloom grinned and flicked a nod at the finished product. She jerked her head toward a sudden itch on her side. A cutie mark? A hammer and board! “Caw!” Applejack’s eyes shot open to see the crow hopping around beside her. Her dreamy smile fading, she whipped her head around at all the apple-filled trees. “Apple Bloom!” she shouted, her voice echoing throughout the nearby hills. She tried again, but gritted her teeth. That filly was long out of earshot by now. “You get back here and finish your work!”