She enjoyed solitude, perhaps a little too much. Whether it was the soft silence of an empty house or the freedom of having no one else around, it was addictive. She couldn't, or wouldn't say when it started, and you could see in her eyes that you shouldn't ask. Now, walking into her sitting room she paused in front of her blinking phone and sighed, and pressed a button. *Beep. First unheard message* [i]Hey, it’s been a few weeks now and I haven’t heard anything from you. Mom’s getting all worried again. Can you at least give her a call? I miss you too you know..[/i] *Message deleted. Next message* [i]Eva! The last chapter you submitted was perfect. Now will you please get me the rest of the book. I can only make so many excuses for you.[/i] *Message deleted. Next message* [i]Will you stop ignoring my calls Evangeline? You can’t keep shutting everyone out like this-[/i] *Message deleted. No new message. Play saved messages?* Evangeline’s hand hovered briefly over the keypad before setting the phone back on it’s stand. “I suppose I should get the rest of the book to Sarah…” She trailed off, looking over to the mess of research books and notes which lay scattered on the floor. While the rest of the house was kept in impeccable order, the sitting room remained somewhat chaotic. The large windows filtered in light to show a maze of books, papers, half-finished drawings, and an impressive collection of pillows and blankets. All in front of an impressive fireplace which was crackling with golden flames. “Though I suppose I’ll have to find it first.” A dimple showed as she laughed quietly to herself. “Which may take a few days.” As slender hands rummaged through semi-organized papers the phone rang, echoing through the stone hallways. She waited until stopped and watched for the telltale flash, letting her know she had an unheard message. Grimacing, she grabbed the phone. *Beep. First unheard message* [i]Hello Miss List, this is Mark calling from Vanguard Insurance in regards to a payout. Please feel free to give us a call back at 262-445-7978. Thank you.[/i] *Message deleted. No new messages. Play saved messages?* She hesitated a moment longer this time before setting the phone down. “The world calls out, but how can I answer? There are no words to say…” Her melancholy words were spoken with an actor's emphasis. “Hmm, that could make a good start to my final chapter.” She rushed to find a pen and paper. Drawn from reality back to her work, she didn't notice the storm clouds rolling in until the first droplets hit the window. It was a pleasant, soothing sound, but it seemed to upset the young woman. She drew a blanket around her and moved closer to the fire, staring at the phone. After what seemed like hours, she finally walked back over to it. *Beep. No new messages. Play saved messages?* She pushed the button with trembling fingers. *First saved message.* [i]Hey beautiful! I'm sure you're buried underneath a pile of paperwork, but guess what? I'm coming home. Don't wait up for me though. Love you.[/i] *End of message. Next saved message.* [i]I just landed. The rain’s coming down pretty hard but I can't wait to see you![/i] *End of message. Next saved message.* [i]Hey.. I'm sorry sweetheart.. I-[/i] *End of message. Next saved message.* [i]Hello, this is Officer Peterson from the Hamish County Sheriff's Office. If you could give us a call back at 262-274-3367. We have you down as an emergency contact for James List.[/i] *End of saved messages.* She sat on the floor, clutching the phone to her chest. “I'm sorry I didn't answer. I'm so sorry I never answered.”