Selections from [i]Amaddisen’s Compendium of Cautions and Outcries: Admonitions for the Advanced Wayfarer[/i] by Alyssande Amaddisen From the Foreword by Smarve Yekeith: [i]…if anything is certain in the varied life of an interstellar traveler, it is that unknown dangers lurk beyond virtually every step. How would the unsophisticated traveler ever know not to collect the single “butterfly” from a Dk’arve bush on Gyttav’s World, or to stamp down only the purple weeds in one’s path on Erebiste, or to hold one’s breath when a Gufguanr is eructating? In all these situations, the prompt utterance of a warning word can save one’s companions from embarrassment, a decade’s imprisonment, permanent loss of vision, or worse. This volume, drawn directly from the author’s own experiences, will amply arm the careful reader with the very aptest words that can be uttered in perilous situations, from surviving a Guu-Bucah attack to surmounting the legal and social liabilities resulting from a game of Lhamnuzt…[/i] [hr] [i]A-athuent-pka! (lit: “Hold [raise] that foot!”):[/i] On Procyon II, it is considered a gross solecism to employ a bipedal gait upon walkways seeded with Higagiu, the grass gathered from the dorsal crevices of one’s dormant semipaternal ancestor. This warning, accompanied by three rapid taps at the heel of the potential offender’s boot, directs the Terran visitor to show appropriate respect by either grasping a foot with a free hand and hopping with an anapestic rhythm, or by dropping to a tripedal gait, usually performed by crawling with one foot held straight back so as not to cause an unpleasing association with the symmetrical appendages of the Night-Piercer (qv). [i]Ftuanf!:[/i] Exclaimed on Drassiger’s Woe IV, with somatic component, when the Ueanvuleu [umbrella-trees] are in season. These trees throw all their limbs radially upward as one opens an umbrella, the force sending their disc-like, razor-edged seeds flying forth in all directions. The somatic component is a sharp blow to the abdomen, causing the stricken one to bend over and allow the seeds to pass overhead. [i]Lohgawthaighl:[/i] A codeword uttered when one’s associate is approaching the reactor controls, carrying a heavy wrench and cackling. Great tact is demanded in achieving a satisfactory resolution, lest the situation rapidly expand beyond containable limits. [i]Stchaguz:[/i] Your Lhamnuzt (qv) partner has placed a Guronze in an oblique configuration against a Folmbo placed by the opposing team. Further use of scawling brushes will reduce the value of your bagpieces by points equal to the number of Dalqamis left in play, minus all harasingian penalties. You utter [i]Stchaguz,[/i] brandish your manipulation clips, and withdraw the Guronze to a point within the protection of any Wringlers that have not moved in the previous turn. [i]Urerei zahuxe!:[/i] This warning is best delivered by not uttering it. See Ivar Fueving, [i]Towards a method of quantifying retrographic world line interference in space surrounding the Ganz system.[/i] [i]Weiiihguhuh![/i] On Kitalpha I, it is unwise to place one’s hands upon the posterior of certain inhabitants and attempt to vault entirely over their bodies, particularly if one is behaving in jest. This exclamation has proven most effective in double-blind trials at inhibiting this undesirable behavior. [hr] It is with great regret that the publishers note the death of Ms. Amaddisen on a holiday excursion to Tau Ceti 3F, when she attempted to locate the correct term to warn her factotum of a sunken segment of path caused by Ambush Quail and failed to notice a Kwufelwhobe over her head. The Spiral Hatted Explorer’s Society has announced that they are accepting donations to fund a memorial, to be constructed by setting off ten fusion devices upon Asteroid Meiens-Broob-XR478 and perturbing its orbit such that Tau Ceti 3F will acquire it as a tertiary moonlet, which will permit the construction of a tremendous sign upon it, warning inhabitants to watch overhead for Kwufelwhobes.