Twilight paid no mind to the hundreds of guards who had appeared on campus, nor the announcement that every building that contained magical artifacts had been put on lockdown. What she did pay mind to, however, were the two maids walking slowly in front of her. "I always knew that filly was trouble," the rightmost maid said, pushing along a tea trolley. "Never cleaned up after herself, spent every night sneaking around the castle—I'm glad she's gone. The Princess deserves better." The mare to her side gasped. "Don't say that," she hissed. "She was just a child." Twilight frowned at their rumps. Any slower and she'd be late for her lessons with Celestia! With a curt "Excuse me" and a tiny "Sorry" she pushed through and ran on ahead, tiny hooves scrabbling along the marble floors. She rounded a few corners and made a beeline for the doors to Princess Celestia's chambers—only to be stopped by the guard standing at the entrance. "Sorry, kid," he said. "Class is cancelled. The Princess ain't seeing anyone today." Twilight stared up at him. "But why?" He took a moment to answer, "She just isn't. Head home." Both ponies jumped when the doors behind him opened ever so slightly, and Celestia peeked her head out. "Twilight?" she asked in a voice that sounded like scrap metal. Bloodshot eyes stared down at them. Twilight's words caught in her throat at the sight. "Princess!" the guard said. "I was just telling her to leave—" "Come in, Twilight," said Celestia, retreating back inside. Twilight and the guard shared a glance before the guard stepped aside. With a satisfied smile on her face, Twilight strutted inside. Her smile faded when the doors closed behind her and she went blind. As her eyes adjusted to the sudden darkness—she didn't even know that Celestia's windows had curtains—she walked forward, calling, "Princess?" Celestia sat in the middle of the room, wings dragging on the floor. "Hello," she said. "I'm sorry about the guard. I know you must have been confused." "What's wrong?" Twilight asked, drawing near to Celestia. "You look... different." "I'm not well today," Celestia said, her face gaunt in the darkness. "Feeling quite sick." "But you can't get sick," said Twilight. "All the books say so." "There are many types of sickness." In a shaky voice, Celestia said, "I haven't felt this in years." A chill settled over Twilight's bones. "Can't you go to the doctor?" Celestia just shook her head. Silence fell over darkness, and Twilight felt as if she had been trapped in a box. She took a step back. "Maybe I should leave—" "No!" Celestia snapped, and Twilight yelped. Immediately Celestia'a scowl softened. She leapt forward and pulled Twilight into a hug. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Twilight tried to calm her breathing, if only to avoid the maddening stench of... [i]something[/i] that wafted from Celestia's coat. "It's okay?" Twilight tried. "I didn't—" "Twilight, I love you," Celestia said. She hugged Twilight tighter. "I care about you. You know that, right?" "I—" "I know I'm strict, and I make you work hard, but I just want you to do your best. I just want you to be happy. Are you happy?" "Of course I am," said Twilight, looking into Celestia's dark eyes. "You're the Princess. How could I not be happy?" Celestia shook her head. "Ponies are never happy around me." Twilight frowned. "That's not true. Everypony loves you!" "Not the ponies who count." Celestia rubbed her eyes. "They all just learn to hate me." "I could never hate you," Twilight murmured. Celestia stared at the ground. Twilight hesitated for a moment—then walked forward and hugged Celestia's leg. With her eyes closed, she felt Celestia's joints tense up. But soon, a familiar warmth enveloped her, like a quilt of fine cloth. "I love you," Twilight said. "I love you too," said Celestia. "Always." The two stayed like that for a long while. Twilight didn't want to let go, not until the lines on Celestia's face disappeared, not until that awful smell went away for good. But soon Celestia moved away. "I think I need some time to rest," Celestia said. "But thank you for stopping by, Twilight, my—my most faithful student." The words raced around Twilight's mind—[i]Most faithful? Oh my gosh oh my gosh[/i]—and she grinned. The two shared a farewell, and Twilight departed. Neither pony ever mentioned that day again. But from that day forth, they ended every lesson with three familiar words: "I love you."