She wore a flower in her hair: A rose, at home in auburn flare. In scarlet dress with silver flair And vulpine, sequined mask, the heir Of Venus danced, still unaware That I, the hawk, had stared and stared From window perch with tempered care. I wondered who and how – from where Had vixen joined the dancing fair, With me so wholly unaware That such a masquerade could bear That stellar figure twirling there In moonlit, lanterned plaza square? By God, I'd pay old Charon's fare Before I saw again such hair. Was she, perhaps, akin, aware That starlit, rose-bound, auburn hair Began to dance as she? Ensnared In flowing curls, alive, prepared To dance the world away. The air fell silent, still; and ere I scarce believed – could bear – That girl stared back at me, I swear… That girl with rose in auburn hair. She stared right back at me, aware Of silent spellbound stare. I spared Myself a moment's pause and dared The path my mind had chosen. Rare It was, I watched us dance and share In thoughtful reverie of where Our souls entwined. I saw us there, The hawk and vixen one – a pair In festive, moonlight-shimm'ring flair That fate bestowed on plaza square. My two left feet could not compare, Yet laughter found us unaware Of glance and frown that sought to share Displeasure in our gay affair. I wed that girl with auburn hair. I wed that vixen, goddess, heir, Yet unaware that I had married Dust. So still I watch. I watch. I stare. At memory that dances there. At reverie in plaza square That twirls forever, unaware That I, the hawk, eternal, bear Aloft, alone, her auburn hair – Her stellar, snaring, auburn hair Whose rose had wilted in despair, Some scarlet-spotted silk affair That green-eyed Pluto made her wear. Yet still I'd ask he deign to spare Me one day there – just one day there – Down amidst the dancing fair, And be as one still unaware Of what that miser had to share. Of what that bastard thought was fair. Yes. We'd be as one, still unaware; In jubilation we would share And know Olympus deemed it fair We dance the world away. I’d gladly pay old Charon’s fare To see again her auburn hair – With rose in bloom and vulpine stare – And dance the world away.