I looked up from my menu to see a grin glaring me in the face. “Oh horsefeathers!” I jumped. I didn't hear any approaching hoofsteps. A handful of moms covered their foals’ ears. They were tucked close to them. Either keeping them safe or away from the wall of assorted treats. Probably both, since those colorful shapes would rot their teeth. However, the pink mare in front of me didn't even flinch. Her mane was ratty, like cotton candy- clumpy and light as a cloud. The strong aroma wafting off her did smell like cotton candy though. “Oh, it’s somepony’s special birthday today!” she exclaimed in a sing-song voice. I blanched. Was it already today? It couldn’t be! Anonymity was scarce in Sugarcube Corner. Especially around her. She liked to greet everypony, even to the liberty of remembering their birthdays to the exact day. She read my mind. “You can’t forget your own birthday, silly!” She yanked my hoof up like I’d won a hoof-wrestling match. “Let's sing for Incognito!” Before I could protest, she led an off-key, bellowing choir of ponies through the happy birthday song. It felt funny—I was standing red-faced in front of a crowd. Never before I had want to bury my face so deep in my forelegs. But, I couldn't help but smile. It felt good to hear the cheer. It felt like a milkshake on a hot day. [hr] My first mistake was staying longer than expected. She wouldn't let me escape without finishing at least one speckled slice she set before me. Bad manners to treat something made with love and care as disposable. When she gathered up the last dish on that table, she flashed a smile at me. It was a little morbid to think of it, but considering the amount of sweetness in her, she’d be stuffed with it like a pinata. I lost concentration. A flash of green and it was all over. My real hooves, appeared before her eyes. Trembling, I awaited the terrible fate or her screaming for anypony around to smack me with a broom. If I was still wearing my disguise my cheeks would be rosy red. Then… a lack of reaction—she didn't flinch. “It's okay,” she said, waving her hooves to stop me from panicking. “It's okay.” “How’d you—?” “I thought I recognized you from Cranky’s wedding,” she cut in. She softly chuckled. “I'd bet those are very sweet for you, aren't they?” It was true. Weddings had pure love so powerful, that it could put the unwary in a coma for over a week. “I noticed you didn't even eat a slice of your cake.” She motioned to the plate still sitting at my table. “It's tells me one of two things: either you are on a diet, or you are—” “I know, the latter,” I answered. I wanted to crawl under the table, but the sweet aroma coming off her was filling my quota for midnight snack. “Why haven't you screamed yet?” “You're a customer. I'd never kick out a customer, unless they were rude.” Her smile shifted into a cheesy one. “Last time I checked, you were nice, which is another reason why I kept you around.” I was speechless. The kindness and patience were suffocating. “I'll keep this a secret.” She winked. “Can you help me with something?” I raised an eyebrow. Maybe she was a changeling. I dismissed the thought. Nah, too weird. Changelings couldn't defy physics. “You can get the plates at that table first.” She pointed a hoof towards a table in the corner. As I took the dishes over to the sink for wash, I stared at my reflection in the display glass holding fresh baked bread. Then I glanced at the mare—she was wiping off the countertops, humming contentedly. Me, without a disguise in public! Yet my blue eyes stared back at me from the glass, then hers. “Still hungry?” she asked. “No, just thinking,” I replied. Maybe playing pretend wasn't the answer, maybe these ponies had something we didn't— I've never experienced this much relaxation since the spa. Still, a little tension and mistrust—but there was something in her eyes, nothing malevolent. Friendly… maybe mischievous. And for once, on my side, I stopped trying to be something that I wasn't.