My ancestor with whiskers draped Cringed back on tiny paws, away From fang-mouthed scaly fiend that scraped To widen burrow's entranceway. And as the creature pressed its face Inside, foul breath of carnivore, [i]there came the blow that rang the world[/i] Earth shook. The reptile's beady gaze Was torn away and seen no more. The skies streamed red and roared, the gale Tore up the land and flattened trees Five thousand miles away, the flail of heaven smashed into the seas And turned the waters into steam The broken bedrock splashed like mud, And chunks of molten magma streamed Through sky with the colossal flood That scoured all the land around of life. Tsunamis, poisoned air, Relentless dust and fire, sound of dread disaster, life's despair. And from one burrow poked a nose As twitching whiskers sensed the breeze. The furry thing emerged, exposed To sky and wind and broken trees. So little of the chain of prey And predator would carry on Through bitter strife and darkened day, But my ancestor (and your own) While starving, scraping, stayed the course And rose to take the reins that all The saurians had dropped. The doors Were parted, and along the hall Of life there would arise the ones Inheriting that ancient gift, Who'd look back on the fossil bones And tell the tale that they had lived.