Twilight trotted up to Applejack’s front door and knocked. “Round back!” came the reply. Twilight found her in a pit behind the house, a mound of dirt nearby, tools and lumber scattered around. “Everything okay?” Twilight asked. “Sure is.” Applejack turned and wiped her brow. “Here about my curriculum?” “Yes. Sorry to pester you, but I need them by tomorrow. You and Rarity are the only ones who aren't done yet.” Twilight hesitated, surveying the construction project. “Do you need help?” “Pfft, funny you should ask. I've been up to my neck in chores this week, so I've only had time to do the outline and a few examples. I—” “I understand entirely, but we need to keep things moving, so if you give me whatever you've finished, I can fill in the holes.” “Er, Twilight, I was saying that I knew I wouldn't get it done on time, so I asked Rainbow and Fluttershy to help me out. They're not too busy, and I figure loyalty and kindness together are a tootin' good substitute for yours truly.” She glanced back to the foundations of the house. “Hate to rush you along, sugarcube, but I gotta get this finished today.” Twilight nodded dumbly and trotted back toward Ponyville, her chest strangely still. Of course Applejack had already asked for help. She'd learned that lesson years ago. And of course Rainbow and Fluttershy had agreed. They knew how important the farm was to Applejack, how much she cared about the friendship school, and how little time she had for both. They worked together in near perfect harmony. So why did Twilight feel so unsatisfied? [hr] As she passed the castle on her way toward Carousel Boutique, Twilight spotted an off-white pegasus mare crouched in the bushes, her eyes staring into one of the castle's windows, a small black binder tucked under a wing. Curious, Twilight trotted closer. She jerked upright as Twilight approached and spun around. A wide grin broke over her face. “Oh hey there. You live here, huh?” Twilight reflexively unfurled her wings. “Um, yes. Me and a couple others.” “Spike and Starlight Glimmer,” the mare recited with a smile. “Yes, right again. How—” “Do you mind if I ask where and when you all sleep?” “Uh… a little? I definitely mind at least a little.” The mare frowned. “I see. I guess that's not really a normal question. Still, I need to know. Do you think your neighbours are home?” Twilight's teeth met. She could feel time ticking away at the back of her mind. “Look, do you want me to sign something? A book? A petition?” The mare shook her head. “Sorry, let me explain. I'm spying on you.” “Okay.” Twilight glanced to her castle, the window beside them, and back at the pegasus. “I would really rather you didn't do that.” “That's fair. I'd hate if somepony spied on me. Um, but I kinda have to. It's my job.” “You're a spy?” She blushed. “Well, technically, I'm an EEA liaison. But today that means spying, apparently, and I'm giving it my all!” Of course she worked for the EEA. Of all the monsters Twilight and her friends had defeated over the years, it seemed that the slow-grinding gears of bureaucracy were the most resilient. “My school has no affiliation with the EEA!” Twilight gestured wildly to the castle. “Stars, this isn't even the school! It's my house!” The mare just shrugged apologetically. Twilight rubbed her face with a hoof. “I'm not going to be able to get rid of you, am I?” “You [i]could[/i] file a restraining order,” the pegasus said. “Please don't, though. It turns out I really like being a spy. And the board'll just assign somepony else if you do.” Twilight opened her mouth, but paused. The first tingles of a stress headache were gathering behind her eyes. Her body and brain ached, desperate for sleep despite it barely being mid-afternoon. She was annoyed, vexed, and floundering for her next response, caught between sarcasm and reason, and reason seeming slightly too complicated to shape into words. It was a familiar feeling, and a familiar problem. Maybe, under the right light, she could call it a friendship problem. “In that case,” Twilight licked her lips, feeling awkward and off-balance in a way she hadn't for years. It glowed warm in her chest. “In that case, and this is going to sound weird… do you want to come over for a slumber party some time?”