“Rarity, may I have a word?” Rarity paused at the door to the Cute-Map Room, a bundle of dirty dishes and cutlery caught in her magic. The rest of the girls had already left after their usual Friday luncheon but she’d insisted on helping with the washing up. “Yes, Applejack?” Applejack shuffled her hooves, looking anywhere but at Rarity. “Well, ya see I got a bit of a problem and... well I know you and Spike go hunting for gems. I was hoping you had space for a paid assistant.” “Applejack, are you asking me for money?” Rarity asked, frowning. “No!” Applejack protested, defensively. “I’m just... looking for a little work.” “How bad is it?” Rarity fixed her with a flat look. “Can I–” “How much?” Applejack hung her head. “Six thousand bits.” “Six thousand!” Rarity gaped, the crockery bobbing. “How ever did that much money slip your notice?” Applejack scowled. “Property taxes, they’ve been going up since Twilight’s Castle appeared. I just don’t know what I’m gonna’ do. Things are tight enough that we might start missing mortgage payments.” Pursing her lips, Rarity thought for a long moment. “Yes, prices have been spiralling up. You could always sell the land...” “Absolutely not!” Applejack shook her head so hard her hat almost came off. “Granny won’t sell an inch and I’m right there behind her.” “Hmm...” Rarity set down the crockery as she considered. The money was the easy part, but how to come up with a solution that Applejack would accept? “How about a loan?” “The bank won’t give us another bit.” “Renegotiate some contracts?” “I can’t do that, those contracts are older than I am.” Rarity shot her a withering look and sighed. “Okay, you can borrow from a friend.” “I don’t know anypony I could ask for that kind of money.” “Well, what–” Rarity froze. “You don’t [i]know[/i] anypony? You’re friends with a Wonderbolt, a Princess, a mare with three fashion boutiques and an Equestria renowned pop-star.” “Don’t borrow money from friends, that’s what Granny always says,” Applejack told her, as if that settled the argument. Rarity felt her eye twitch. “You’ve also saved four out of the five Princesses of Equestria. Just ask them to waive the tax.” Applejack looked horrified. “I couldn’t do that. How would that be fair?” “We live in an theocratic monarchy, Applejack. Power and wealth is a function of your connections to the Princesses.” Applejack just frowned at her. “Watch, we’re going to talk to the Governor.” Three minutes later they were in Twilight's office. It was aggressively tidey, filled to the brim with binders and filing cabinets. Rarity was sure if she looked hard enough she’d find a folder marked ‘Discarded Feathers: Lavender’. “Oh, hi girls,” Twilight said, as they came in. “What’s going on?” “Applejack,” Rarity began. “I would like you to meet the Governor of the Cantervale.” “Rarity!” Twilight blushed scarlet. “I’m not the Governor. Celestia is the Governor, I just do some of her paperwork temporarily.” Rarity sighed. “How much paperwork?” “Well... all of it.” “And for how long?” “A year and a half. But Celestia makes the final decisions,” she protested. “And how long has it been since she overruled you?” “A year and a half.” Twilight froze, then groaned. “Oh, come on! That’s the third time she’s used that trick.” “One problem at a time, darling,” Rarity continued. “Now, Applejack here is struggling to pay her taxes. Can you please waive them?” She ignored the indignant spluttering from Applejack. “Rarity!” Twilight protested. “I can waive taxes just because I feel like it. There’s checks and balances, precedent, and besides it's hardly fair.” Rarity huffed. “Really? A load of nobles speculating on property is driving Applejack out of her home and you’re worried about fairness?” “What? Applejack that’s terrible. Whatever can we do to help?” Rolling her eyes Rarity ignored the pair as they discussed a bake sale or something. After a few moments searching she pulled out a sheaf of expense forms and filled one in for six thousand bits. “Twilight darling,” she interjected. “Sign this please, it's a friendship problem related expense. It slipped my mind earlier.” “Oh, right.” Twilight glanced at the form and signed before turning back to her conversation. “Wonderful.” Rarity shoved the form into Applejack’s hooves. “Here, a promissory note for six-thousand bits. Happy birthday for nine weeks from now.” She walked out before either of them could protest. Honestly, it was like nopony knew how the game was played.