There were nights when she felt herself alone upon arriving. On these nights she experienced a dead solitude, an isolation that didn't invite deep thoughts or a deserved rest from the world. Yet to her surprise she wouldn't stay alone for long. [i]“Hello there, beautiful. It's been a while.”[/i] It was a familiar presence: brusque, arrogant, but also intelligent and even playful. It had indeed been a while since she last felt it, and felt a mixture of comfort and uncertainty that made her quiver slightly. “I missed you.” [i]“I know you do, sweetheart. All the ladies can't get enough of me.”[/i] Such obnoxious self-indulgence, but she knew that it was different when he said it around her. A somber twinge of nostalgia went through her. [i]“I see you've been doing well without me.”[/i] “Yes. There have been lots of people for me to look after, and in turn so many to look after and care for me. Though, none have ever come off the same as you.” A bellowing laugh shook the air. Others would have thought it cruel, but she knew it was just his own unique trait. [i]“Ha ha! Ever the sentimentalist as always, my dear.”[/i] “Oh? As I recall, you yourself was quite sentimental from time to time.” [i]“Yes well, that was a long time ago. Ancient history to be precise.”[/i] “Indeed...” For a brief moment it had felt the same as it did back then, with her at ease before his towering presence. It went away quickly as she stared off. She sensed him approaching. [i]“Things were so much simpler then. No responsibilities, no rules or doctrines to uphold. Just us and the world as our playground.”[/i] “They were simpler times, but all things must grow older, and face the world with newfound wisdom and understanding.” [i]“Serious as always. Something that I find both endearing and meddlesome about you. With all your wisdom, you still fail to see the importance of staying young at heart and partaking in a little mischief.”[/i] “...Not if it meant hurting others.” Distaste filled her as the ugly side of her memories began to rise. [i]“It was all in good fun, my dear.”[/i] “No it wasn't. Ponies suffered, whether directly or from the disharmony you insisted on creating.” [i]“The whole harmony thing again? Guess it's in your nature, as wanton chaos is in mine.”[/i] She felt his embrace, firm and yet gentle and warm. Her resolve began to shudder and her vision grew cloudy, willing her being to remain still. [i]“We can start again, you know? Leave the responsibilities, find a new land, be whatever we want to be without disrupting your precious harmony.”[/i] She felt herself breaking, but stayed focused. “Always wanting the easy way out. Why couldn't you live with stability? Why didn't you think any of it was important enough to adjust?” It came off as begging. Pitiful. He suddenly grew cold. [i]“...As I said, it's in my nature. But I understand.”[/i] He let her go, and she felt him drift steadily away. [i]“I pose a threat to your precious dream, and so won't bother you further. It's either one or the other between us. For you, precious Tia, I shall humbly submit...”[/i] “WAIT!” Celestia awoke in a cold sweat, hot tears streaming down her cheeks. Alone, once again, in the darkness.