Ditzy Doo decided that there were few things better in life than returning to the post office with an empty mail satchel. The feeling of the weightless bag was enough to make her skip on the tips of her hooves. “Mr. Letterhead!” she called out. “I’m ready for another set.” But instead of bearded old Mr. Letterhead, there was a young mare at the Postmaster’s desk. “Hiya, Ditzy!” she said, with a wave. Ditzy was confused for a minute, and then she remembered that Mr. Letterhead had retired two—no, [i]three[/i]—years ago. She frowned and lightly struck her forehead with her wing. [i]Silly.[/i] “Hi, Ms. Triplicate! Sorry, I forgot again. And I’m ready for my next deliveries.” “No sweat,” said Triplicate, smiling gently. “But that was actually your last run for the day, Ditzy. Your shift’s up.” Triplicate pointed at the clock on her desk, and sure enough it was already almost six. “Oh!” said Ditzy. She smacked her forehead again. [i]Silly![/i] “It’s also Friday today,” said Triplicate as she quickly wrote out a check. Ditzy nodded and remembered that Friday was payday. “I’ll see you on Monday, Ditzy,” said Triplicate as she pushed the check across her desk. “Thanks, boss!” said Ditzy with a beam. She took the check and headed out. “See you next week!” [hr] If her wing wasn't aching so badly, she would have literally flown out of the post office. Fridays were special, because once she got paid, she’d always have at least a little she could spend on a surprise for Dinky. She stopped at the bank to deposit the check and to make a small cash withdrawal. Last week she got candy, so today she'd go to the toy store. When she got there, the first thing she saw was a new Build-a-Log-Cabin set in the display window. Upon closer inspection, she knew it was absolutely [i]perfect[/i]. The carved pieces were glossy with high-quality paint, and the assembled cabin was big enough to fit Dinky’s little dolls. Grinning ear to ear, she grabbed a boxed set, paid for it, and flapped out of the store, sore wing be damned. Ditzy decided that there were very few things better than coming home on Friday evenings. [hr] “Dinky, I’m home!” Ditzy said as she opened the front door. She carefully put the toy set on the dining table before shrugging off her uniform and leaving it on the floor. She’d go back and pick it up in a minute. “Where are you, Dinks?” DItzy stepped up the stairs. When she opened Dinky’s bedroom door, she blinked. There was a strange mare sprawled out on Dinky’s bed, with her horn aglow. The mare heard Ditzy opening the door, and she turned around looked up at her. “Hey, let me call you back,” she said into her telesonic spell, “Mom just got home.” Dinky’s horn went out, and she bounded to her feet. “Hi, Mom! How was work?” She hugged Ditzy, and for a moment Ditzy was stiff until she remembered how to hug a daughter who was taller than her now. Dinky pulled away and tilted her head, her brow furrowed. “What's up?” she asked. “Is something wrong?” “It’s nothing,” said Ditzy. “I just had one of my moments, that’s all.” Ditzy tapped her forehead with her good wing. [i]Silly.[/i] “You, uh… didn’t forget why I’m here, right?” The edges of Dinky’s eyes pinched up, but the young mare held onto her smile. “It’s okay if you did. I know sometimes you need a reminder.” Ditzy’s gaze automatically flicked up to the gold-trimmed engagement ring on Dinky’s horn. “Of course I remember,” said Ditzy, smiling widely. “Tomorrow’s your big day, Dinks!” “Yeah, I guess it is.” Dinky grinned. This time, her smile easily reached her eyes. “I actually just called Pipsqueak. His train gets here soon, so we should head for the station.” “Right!” said Ditzy. “Just a second!” Ditzy flew down to the dining room, plucked the cabin set from the table, and scurried into the basement before Dinky could see it. There, in the back corner, she stacked it on top of a dozen other dusty unopened toy boxes. Ditzy looked at the pile and rolled her eyes. [i]Silly me![/i] But at least she had a good supply of birthday presents for her future grandchildren. “Hey Mom! Where'd you go?” “Coming, Dinks!” As Ditzy Doo flew up the stairs with aching joints, she decided that there was absolutely nothing better in her life than this.