A full moon illuminated the barren streets of Canterlot. A mere five hours earlier, the air had buzzed with laughter and hushed conversation. Now, only the rare pony could be seen silently stumbling home after a long night. The city became a patchwork quilt of light as more buildings grew dark. From the highest balcony of Canterlot Castle, Princess Luna watched as the life was drained from her city. The impatient tapping of a hoof broke Luna’s concentration, forcing her to spin around. Her eyes met a jet black mare with a flowing purple mane. Luna tripped over herself as she scrambled to back away from the intruder, Nightmare Moon. “You? The Elements… this is impossible!” The black mare stepped forward as a haunting grin crept upon her face. “Did you really think that Equestria could forget about me so easily?” Luna regained her balance and desperately tried to match the villain’s gaze. Just as she recovered her composure, Nightmare Moon turned around and walked to the edge of the balcony. Waving her hoof toward the deserted streets of Canterlot, Nightmare Moon announced, “it is so nice that the ponies have grown to love you so much during your time in Equestria.” Luna shrank against the words. “They are growing to accept-” Nightmare Moon snorted, cutting her off. “Oh shush, you weren’t supposed to answer that.” She turned to face Luna. “Ponies definitely do seem to admire you, Luna. How did you win such affection? Tell me,” she lowered her voice and started walking toward Luna, “how long has it been since somepony bowed to you without the presence of Celestia?” The princess finally found her strength. She drew herself up and demanded, “Enough, why come back now after all this time? Explain yourself!” Nightmare Moon tilted her head backwards and laughed. “You have to be joking. You actually thought I was gone? No, We have always existed and We always will. The Elements of Harmony only weakened me. Tell me, what happened after we were defeated?” Luna did not have to think hard to remember the events of that night. She remembered them as if they’d happened yesterday. “Celestia forgave me and asked if I would rule with her, as her friend.” Nightmare Moon rolled eyes and stepped closer to Luna. “And you believe that is what you are doing now? You are Celestia’s novelty.” Luna fought every muscle in her body to stand her ground. “That isn’t true, Celestia would-” “Really, is that so?” She stepped forward so that she was face to face with Luna. “Tell me then, why is it that Cadance has the Crystal Empire and even Twilight Sparkle has her own castle, yet you remain here as Celestia’s lap dog? Where is your kingdom?” Luna inched her face closer to Nightmare Moon’s. “This is my kingdom.” She laughed in Luna’s face. “You don’t really believe that, and you never have. The ponies worship Celestia and her day, not us, and you know that.” She lowered her head and whispered into Luna’s ear. “Think about it. We have watched them. We have seen how they defeated Discord, Chrysalis and Tirek. We know their weaknesses and strengths. We also have followers. You have won the trust of Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and perhaps even Twilight and her friends.Together we would unstoppable, and the night would last forever!” “No!” Luna cried as she threw her hoof at Nightmare Moon’s face. Her hoof pierced through the body as it erupted into a cloud of purple smoke. It rose and dissipated into the night sky. “I will never betray Celestia!” She walked to the edge of the balcony and looked down upon Canterlot. The city was wrapped in shadows, and nopony could be seen. As the sun began to rise, Luna heard hoofsteps approaching behind her. She turned to see Celestia approaching the balcony. Celestia greeted her with a simple, “sister.” Luna nodded, and switched places. She began her walk through a castle covered in depictions of the sun.