Long ago, in lands untold Stood silent sentinels of old. And to the seasons, faces bold they showed, with steadfast branches. Those trees — how tall! How straight and proud! With magic and splendor endowed, Those trees — so strong! So fierce and great! Serenity they did create, And when the breeze shuffled their leaves, The Sprites would congregate. With the seasons danced the Sprites Their steps as quick and smooth and light As softly-creeping shades of night That slid through summer sunshine. Summersong is sweet and long: (As fairies must the day prolong) But with the chilling wind-gusts strong Come dances dull and boring. And so it be, one winter’s eve Scuffing about a frozen tree One fairy listened to the sea And heard the ocean calling. A song it sang— [i]Such songs it sang![/i] The fairy sat, enraptured. What lovely sound— [i]Such lovely sounds![/i] The wav’ring notes did capture. The fairy’s voice did stick and crack When to the ocean sang she back And though her song refinement lacked She sang with adoration. But songs unheard oft are observed: It took her kin aback. “You’re mad!” Sprites cried. “But why?” They sighed. They covered up their ears. “Surely you see That faries be Dancers: no singing here!” “If it is not your song to sing Then only trouble will it bring. If seasong isn't your plaything, Then leave it be and dance.” Alone she found herself once more, Still thinking of yon distant shore. Deciding to protests ignore, She for the ocean headed. [hr] Out from the forest ventured she With cheerful step and spirit free— She left her world of dance and tree For distant serenading. The mighty cliffs did oversee The kneeling, pensive, devotee That rushed to pray, With mighty spray. Then to its brethren flee. Standing upon the jagged ledge Toeing the flimsy, crumbling edge, Her dainty wings still yet to fledge, She froze, and hesitated. Gusts of wind Climbed up cliff-face— Hissing, threat’ning, chilling space That seemed to tell her of her place Dancing within the trees. But from the waves crashing below: A song did with the current flow. Step by step, With courage grand. Inch by inch, She moved her hand. Careful, careful, Did she plan Each toehold taken from the land. But rock-held water holds no grip, And nearly finished was her trip When trait’rous foot did slide and slip: Downwards the fairy tumbled. Around her, louder, rang the song Of oceans deep, of currents strong And now she realized, all along— She sang a song of war. The current paid her little mind, Until she dusted off her climb And begged a moment of its time: [i]Teach me to sing?[/i] she pleaded. In response, she earned a roar: If angry seemed the sea before, Foam-tipped hands now swarmed the shore And plucked her from her boulder. How cold, how cruel, how beauty-sore Did seem the shell-strewn ocean floor, But still the song she once adored Did flood the fairy’s ears. Pinned by the briny, shifting weight Of sea-held distaste, dislike, hate— Spurned by her goal to emulate, The sprite would surely drown. For songs of war try to restrain With force and pow’r and blunt-tipped pain, But in the fairy still remained A tune of hope and awe. Out of the sea! Out to the shore! Her struggle thus began. Out of the foam! Out to the land! She raced the current’s hand. But when at last her arms collapsed, She lay upon the sand. [hr] Sweetly, softly, silence coos— And from her spot atop the dunes A melody of solitude Surrounded her with care She sat up — blinking back the salt That dripped from eyelash down the faults Of sea-slapped face, and found its halt Upon the grainy sand. How quiet, here, With sea and sand Meandering in tranquil strand, With water meeting verdant land — The fairy sighed, relaxing. No songs of war, Nor angry shore, Disturbed her well-earned rest. No swelling crests That tried their best To pull her to sea-floor But from the depths did manifest A softer song’s encore. Across the beach, hidden away From lapping wave and ocean spray, Beach creatures watched the fairy stray And wondered how to help her. From fronds of grasses, silently They watched, shifting tent’ively, Hoping perhaps that maybe she would simply go away. The fairy spared them not a glance For once again she was entranced By singing from the wide expanse Of oceantide before her. [i]There![/i] She saw In water far. She gasped in awe, Her mouth ajar. For ocean’s maw And morning star Did sing with waves aplenty A quiet, lonely serenade For such songs of sadness made, But still the fairy thought to trade Her dancing for a hymn. Around, she searched For sea-strong perch That cross the waves could take her search— At last she found Upon the ground, A scrap of weathered birch. To the water! Off she ran, With makeshift raft and makeshift plan To sail across the glitt’ring span Of waters wide and foreign. Atop the ocean deep and blue She went, with courage firm and true: Adrift with intent to pursue That melody so distant. A song of loneliness she heard, Growing more clear with every word— But still she ventured, undeterred By mournful notes abounding. “Hello!” She cried, when last she stood Surrounded by the waves. “I wondered if perhaps you could Teach me your singing ways?” And to assure of motives pure She danced the Spring Ballet. Leaps and twirls and spins abound! (How else would news of spring resound Through gardens slumb’ring ‘neath the ground If fairies did not wake them?) Upon her raft the fairy moved With graceful elegance to prove That should her singing they improve, She could the ballet teach them. The waves around her seemed to still As they observed gift of goodwill— (For strange it was, that in the chill Of winter, sprites should venture: Out from the forest standing guard With sentinels so strong and hard.) And yet the Sprite sought what was barred From her: the lonely sea-song. So when her dance came to an end The ocean did her gift commend: “Oh Fairy kind! Unlikely friend! We do so all agree: So lovely of you to extend The gesture of the trees. "But from the forest we do not In actuality Possess a purpose for the thought of dances, undersea." "We are not sprites!” The sea foam laughed And from her spot upon her raft The fairy persevered and asked, “Oh, surely you will teach me?” “Can you not see how far I’ve come? From cliffs violent and forests glum— Chasing a song so I might hum Melodies sweet and lilting? Teach me to sing! That’s all I want! So that I won’t your tastes affront! And if required, be quite blunt, So that my voice might please you.” Finished at last, she listened fast, But laughed the waterfront, “Oh Fairy, dear! We shan’t forget How sweetly you arrived. Good fortune will your charm beget: Our thanks we won’t deprive. So from this shore we’ll evermore Toward your goodness strive!” And taking the birch raft in hand (Upon which still the Sprite did stand) Away from forest, cliff, and land The waves happily sent her. Out to distant parts unknown Away from shore, Away from home, And though they sent her on her own, The waves bade her farewell. [hr] Onward, onward, sailed the sprite Through twilit evening, star-strewn night. Asleep she fell, until the light Of morning gently woke her. Around the makeshift driftwood raft (Still solid, for quick handicraft!) Blossomed a mirror that held entrapped The colors of the dawn. Such magic swirls of pinks and gold— Shades of azure and crimson bold— Oh, how the morning placed its hold Upon the waveless sea! From glassy, painted waters still Rose rock-hewn mountains, pillars, hills— With hopes of kindness and goodwill The fairy drifted toward it Upon the rocks perched maidens fair [right][i]singing sweetly, softly, sweetly[/i][/right] Brushing undulating hair [right][i]brushes flashing, laughing, clashing[/i][/right] Stretched from head down to the flair [right][i]fins encircling, scales encircling[/i][/right] Where tapered waist met glitt’ring tail “Hello,” they cried “Well met!” They sang “However did you find Yourself out here So far from home! And to that raft confined? Need you any of our help? We’ll surely ease your bind.” With hopeful eyes and heaving sigh, She told them of her quest awry, And how she sought to fortify Her heart with songs of beauty. She told the maids of seasons cold, How winter’s dances grew so old, And how the others jumped to scold The one who dared to sing. “And so,” she said, lifting her head, “I took the path less often tread, “And came to hear your song instead— Now will you music teach me?” The maidens fair (With lovely hair From down their backs To fin-found flare)— With joyous clapping filled the air And soothed her weary heart. “Of course!” They cried, “Why not?” They sang. “Through trials long you fought And with your home your freedom bought We have but one request: We’ll share our serenade with you But teach us Summer’s dance.” (For melodies may still entrance: A quiet sigh, a passing glance, But longed the mermaids to enhance Their tools of love and beauty). At that the fairy broadly grinned. She spread her wings, Around them spinned, At last! Her journey met its end Within the city singing. She found her students quick to learn The movements by which seasons turn. Around her raft, the waters churned With graceful education. Arms above And fins below, Fast as storm-borne winds could blow, Like petals caught in rainy flow, The fairy taught them summer. Twist and twine, And swirl in time To music fine, (And no shoreline To break the rhythm then enshrined Down in the depths unmoving). Around them wound a breeze sublime, For as their dance the Sprite refined The winds of summer from the brine Arose, and wandered over. (How good, to see the season free! And to the forest not confined.) And though it was not quite the dance Of winter’s end, Nor spring’s advent, The forest fairy watched, entranced As beauty they created. A final, glorious, upward surge At last ended their dance submerged, And from the water they emerged With songs of glee and joy. “Oh, thank you, Fairy!” “Thank you, Sprite!” “For now we’ll pass those lonely nights With dancing that’s so strong and bright It may outshine the stars!” And then, taking the fairy’s raft (How long endured her handicraft!) Away to pillar’d city vast They pulled their newfound friend. Atop their rocks above the sea They sat her with great courtesy, And taught her then a harmony That could ensnare the world. (For songs of war get no encore And loneliness no passion stores, To win the hearts of those onshore A song of love must sound.) From her lips, made fin’lly real, A song she need not sneak or steal, And to the forest would appeal— [i]They could not shun a love song![/i] The fairy poured all of her thanks, (So deeply from their art she drank!) And turned she then her tiny plank Toward her distant home. [hr] With head held high Noble and proud, And nose lifted To distant cloud, She sang so strong And fierce and proud, That all the world took notice. The waves fell silent in her path, As songs she sang did then entrap Both loneliness and mighty wrath That waves and ocean fostered. Across the quiet wat’ry fields, Her song of passion now revealed— And in her wake the waves did yield That beautif’lly she sang. Upon the shore she touched once more And called upon some seagulls four. “Oh winged friends, I do implore: You’ll to the forest take me?” The birds fell quiet at the sound Of sea-song ringing all around, And caref’lly, gently, from the ground To cliff-top she they carried. Through the shadows, Through the trees, Through frozen oak Untouched by spring, With song of love now wavering Before her, walked the sprite. At last her brethren heard her call Echoing through the spaces tall “Oh, could it be? That after all This time, you’re back for Spring-step?” Heard they then the music sweet That wintered ears with kindness meet. Her journey she did then repeat, Triumphantly recounting. Suspicious eyes did trail her through The months in which her story true Did not receive what it was due— Her song still gathered frowning. This scorn the sprite hadn’t foreseen. How could they wrong her song decree? But still with her they disagreed: Fairies should only dance. After years of judging eyes And whispering her lullabies , The Fairy said her last goodbyes And into shadows ventured. (For upon soft sky-painted sea Remained her home and heart.) Spread her wings she did, and fly In wake of bird and butterfly, To find another place nearby Where she could sing of life. She wandered for eternity, But found a lake with waters clean That stretched on out as wide and free As voices in the sky.