Long ago, Albatross flew over the land, for land was beautiful and the ocean so empty. In his youthful wanderings, Albatross saw many wonderful things: great mountains, herds of buffalo, a deep scar in the desert. He marveled at these things and thought deep thoughts about them. One day, over a conifer forest, he saw below him a dot of snow-white on a lake. Curious, he spiraled down to see what this thing could be. Swimming there was a lady, who looked up at his shadow. "Hello," Albatross said. "I have flown far over this land, and never have I seen someone as beautiful or majestic as you. Might I have your name?" She smiled bashfully. "You are too kind, good sir! If I be beautiful, then you must be handsome. My name is Swan. And what might your name be?" "Albatross, if it pleases you." "A fine name. Albatross," she said, tasting the sound. She laughed. "You say you have seen this land. Have you passed over this place before?" "Yes, indeed," Albatross said, puffing out his chest a little. "Three times, at least. But never before have I seen the likeness of you." Swan nodded. "This is the first time I have been here. My family showed me the way, is how I know of it. Did your family show you the world?" "They did not. I have always wandered alone." "How horrible!" Swan said. "I have seen much the length of this land, if not its breadth, and know that it is indeed a grand place. To have compassed it all with none but yourself seems a terribly lonesome ordeal." Albatross gave a wan smile. "My thoughts have kept me company, but it is often very lonely. I don't suppose you and I might travel together awhile?" Swan gasped. "Oh, that sounds wonderful! You can tell me of all the wide world. I cannot stray, you must understand—I am bound northward soon, but how I yearn to hear!" "I may only linger shortly, then," Albatross said, his wings shivering a little, "for much farther north and I shall freeze. Not even my love for you can keep out the cold. But I will tell you what I might before we part ways." Swan nodded somberly. "I would like that, my love." Swan and Albatross traveled together for some time, talking and listening to one another and growing ever fonder of each other. Then, when the bite of cold was too much for Albatross, they parted ways. "I will see you again," Swan said. "Meet we here again with the changing of the season. I promise you, my wanderer, my Albatross, I will see you again." "I will wait for you here," Albatross said, "at the changing of the season. I will have new stories to tell to you as we fly together again. I promise you, my Swan, I will see you again." Albatross flew far and wide, memorizing the landscapes that Swan would never see. Over shivering mountain peaks and to the end of the coast he flew, and back again to wait. He met not one, but two. "Husband," Swan said, "this is Albatross, who I told you so much about. He has come as he said he would! I knew he would!" She flew to Albatross. "My wanderer, tell me of the world so wide. I wish to hear it all." Albatross stared, dumbfounded, between his Swan and her Husband. "I do not understand," Albatross said. "We said we would wait for each other." Swan pulled away, pained. "We did. But had we ever pledged why for?" Albatross watched her for a long while before turning in silence to fly far, far away. Thus, to this day, Albatross soars over the vast, empty blue of the ocean, alone with his thoughts. And Swan tied her tongue, never to speak again.