Evil ruled in distant lands Enacting plans none could abide Missiles flew and fell from space Eighteen billion people died. [center]A single cell lay in a lab A perfect little shade of green Containment failed and all were felled For want of a vaccine.[/center] [right]A million robots trained to fight AI would save us all But by the time a side had won We’d faced the curtain call.[/right] In the end I was alone Buried deep beneath the earth Sending signals up to space Speaking of our former worth [center]In the end I was alone Looking out from quarantine Forever in a vial made Wondering what might have been[/center] [right]In the end I was alone Eternal lord of robot minds Built a dish that faced the stars To tell them of my kind.[/right] A signal seen [center]A signal sent[/center] [right]A meeting of the minds[/right] We spent a thousand [center]Thousand[/center] [right]Years[/right] Musing our demise. [center]We searched and searched for mortal minds[/center] [right]Or immortal souls like we[/right] But in a thousand [center]Thousand[/center] [right]Years[/right] We remained lonely. [right]A thousand probes[/right] [center]A thousand scopes[/center] A thousand points of view [right]All pointed at the stars. [/right] [center]All looking for you. [/center] And so a million years have passed Seeing worlds of gray. [center]Worlds that once held so much life[/center] [right]Worlds far past doomsday. But see amid the void of space A pearl of green and blue A world untouched by war? [/right] [center]Or plague? [/center] [right]So we are calling you. [/right] There’s none up here but we three minds Singing songs of old [center]And while their words still hold some grace New ones would be like gold.[/center] [right]If you yet live out there in space Please speak and let us know. Should you need some help, no fear We have the perfect radio.[/right] [hr] Three pairs of eyes stared at Twilight as she lowered the scroll. Licking her lips, her eyes flicked from those of her mentor, to those of the immortal she had freed from the darkness, and finally to her sister in law. “Are those truly the words that came from the stars?” Luna asked. “Well, it’s the best translation I could make. I might have taken a few liberties with the words here and there to keep the rhyme. Obviously they don’t speak our language, so I sort of had to improvise.” Twilight chuckled nervously. “I hope that’s okay? I was really trying to make sure that it came across the same way it was sent, it was very deliberate, but I could always make a more direct translation if—“ Celestia set a gold-shod hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “It’s fine, Twilight,” Celestia said, smiling. “You did a wonderful job with the translation.” Cadance nodded her head. “I think we were just hoping that it would be something more encouraging. It doesn’t sound like things have gone very well for them.” Twilight rubbed her mane with her hoof. “Yeah, well, from what they said, it sounds like they all destroyed themselves.” “A fate we ourselves have almost shared,” Luna said with a heavy sigh. “I fear we might not be any more fortunate than they.” “Yeah, it’s not exactly what we wanted to hear from our first contact with intelligent life. So much for those books where aliens show up and solve all our problems.” Twilight said, giving voice to another nervous chuckle. Celestia bowed her head gravely. “Indeed. But it still seems like a wonderful opportunity.” The tall alicorn strode out towards the balcony, staring up at the sky over Canterlot before glancing back over her shoulder at Twilight. “Fortunately for us, I think we have just the right pony to write a response.” The Princess of Friendship stepped up next to her former mentor, and forever friend, leaning her shoulder against a long white leg as she smiled up to her. “I’m honored to represent our people. But…” Twilight shuffled awkwardly. “What is it?” Luna asked, joining the pair out on the balcony. “I’m not sure I can do it!" Twilight blurted out. Cadance smiled as she stepped up beside Twilight on the other side. “I’m sure you’ll do fine. You are the princess of friendship, after all.” “Oh, that’s not what I’m worried about,” Twilight said, sighing. “It’s just… I’m not very good at writing poetry.”