In the space between spaces, in a reality that knows no light, there dwell beings of indescribable power. The shape of these creatures does not map to our understanding of space; their thoughts and motivations are unknowable and alien. Their actions can only be seen in the dance of the stars and in the subtle interplay of particles. Of these unimaginable beasts, two are of interest to our tale. One we will call Humphrey, he’s a local of a sort. The other we will call Yy’wal, he is very much not. Creatures such as they do not gather around each other’s necks of the multiverse for tea and scones while grousing about work. However, it’s as good an analogy as any. “Which is why we had to replace physics for thirty millennia,” Yy’wal completed, with a sigh. Humphrey said nothing, sipping on his tea. It had gone cool over the course of the rambling story. “I did wonder why there was a dark patch.” Yy’wal made a face. “Yeah, boss doesn’t really think much of electromagnetism, so we got away with that. Most of the baryonics made it into the right place and that’s what’s on the checklist, so all’s well that ends well.” “Quite… Another scone?” “Nah, birthday at the office I’m still full of cake.” The two infinite horrors nodded to each other and continued to sip at their drinks. “Nice place you’ve got here, Humph,” Yy’wal began, casting around the dimensional conflux. “Great views, plenty of elbow room. Always knew you’d do well for yourself, too smart for your own good. Heh.” Humphrey swallowed a grimace. Boarding school translates perfectly well to creatures beyond mortal ken, much to a far younger Humphrey’s dismay. “One tries. I have to say I find your place more homely.” Yy’wal waved him off. “Nah, it’s mostly missing matter. This place has class, though, there’s that odd ringing sound.” “Oh?” Humphrey cocked his head. “I don’t hear anything?” “Nah there’s definitely something.” Yy’wal scowled, craning his neck. “Little main sequence star squawking over there?” Humphrey glanced around for the aberrant star a moment, before breathing a sigh of relief. “Oh, no that’s just Humanity. You had me worried there.” “Humanity—“ Yy’wal did a double take. “You have life out there?” “Just some organic replicators,” Humphrey protested. “They keep the garden interesting. Lots of unusual elements churning about. Wonderful new smells.” Yy’wal fixed him with an odd look. “Smells? How complicated is this life getting?” “Ah. Well, bear in mind I’ve been busy at the office and I haven’t really had the chance to prune recently.” Humphrey rubbed the back of his head. “Still, it’s not that bad.” “Humph, you’re a terrible liar.” Yy’wal sighed, raising a foot. “Want me to get rid of it for you?” “No!” Humphrey leapt forwards, placing himself between Yy’wal and Sol. “I… really don’t see the need to bother.” Yy’wal rolled his eyes. “It’s gross.” “I’ll admit it’s not the cleanest thing in the world. All that knocking about and replicating, but really what harm is there?” Humphrey forced a reassuring smile. “It’ll get everywhere.” Yy’wal shook his head in disgust. “Before you know it, it’ll be multicellular.” “Umm…” “Then it starts getting social.” “Yes, uh…” “And then it’s just a hop skip to being intelligent and then where will you be?” “Right…” Humphrey took a sudden interest in his shoes. “And if it’s already reached that stage?” Yy’wal sighed. “Humph, just squash them already before it gets any worse.” Humphrey winced. “Are you sure that’s necessary? Ninety percent of organic civilisations go extinct without bothering anybody, all on their own! There’s no real need to go squishing things. It’s just a few high-energy physics experiments running and the noise is hardly noticeable.” “High energy physics?” Yy’wal exclaimed. “Humph!” “Yes, yes…” Humphrey hemmed and hawed a moment. “It’s just… I don’t like squashing things much. They don’t feel pain like us but it still feels cruel. Besides, they’ve been on that planet for billions of years, I kind of feel they have a right to the place.” Yy’wal pressed his hand over his eyes. “Fine. Just, fine. If you want to adopt organics then that’s your own business, just don’t come crying to me when they start trashing things.” “Don’t be dramatic. They’ve been going for years without—“ A tinkling crash resounded through the space. Humphrey made a slow turn, dismay writ across his face as the walls around Sol crumbled. “Oh dear, they’ve broken my light-barrier.”