Brad scanned his microchipped hand on the lock of his apartment door and dragged himself inside. A woman’s voice floated from the kitchen. “Rough day?” “You wouldn’t believe it, Rosie. It was supposed to be my day with the kids, but Karen hired one of those robot nannies to shuffle them around instead. That stupid thing sidelined me all day.” “I’m sorry, dear. Maybe you use that in your alimony proceedings somehow?” “I dunno. Probably not. If it were a human nanny, maybe. But a robot...” He sat up. “Are you making dinner?” A pale, thin face peeked through the kitchen doorway. “Grilled cheese and chili.” Brad sighed in delight. “And a salad. But I got the dressing you like.” “You got the healthy version of the dressing I like.” Rosie’s face disappeared, giggling. Brad loved that sound. It was perfectly charged and almost weightless, like electricity. “I’m obligated to keep you alive,” he heard her say. “C’mon. Let’s eat.” Rosie had dressed differently than she normally did when it was just them at home. The usual shorts and t-shirt combo was replaced by a frilly yellow sundress. “Why the geddup?” Brad asked as he set the table in the dining nook. “I could tell you were having a bad day. I thought you’d like it.” “No arguments here,” he said with a chuckle. They ate their dinner in silence, something Brad appreciated. When a meal was truly good, he thought, there was no need to talk. All the affirmation and love he could ever get from a conversation was stewed right into the food. Rosie liked chatting, but she understood his disposition. If his silence ever made her uncomfortable, she gave no indication. To his knowledge, nothing could make her uncomfortable. When he finished his meal (salad and all) he cleared the dishes away, giving Rosie a squeeze on the shoulder as he passed her by. “Really good dinner, dear,” he said. She perked up. “I’m glad you liked it. It’s a new recipe, actually. I’ll file it away for another time.” Conversation between them came easier as they cleaned the dishes. Their four-handed assembly line worked in perfect unison. Brad soaked the dishes while Rosie dried them. “So tell me what happened between you and that robot nanny,” Rosie asked. Brad sighed. “It’s petty. The kids had a nice time, that’s all that matters.” “But if you’re mad, it’ll only make you more mad to deny you’re mad in the first place.” “I guess. The nanny kept stealing my thunder. I took the kids out to lunch, and the nanny got them all ice cream. I took ‘em to a park, and the nanny finds a balloon vendor and gets the kids balloons. I tried to have a talk with them about growing up, and she kept spitting out these stupid jokes--the kids couldn’t stop laughing. I was trying to be serious and they were laughing.” Rosie considered his words for a moment. “Don’t take this confrontationally, but I think it was all in your head. You can’t buy a vindictiveness program, and Karen doesn’t strike me as smart enough to make one. Robots aren’t allowed to hurt humans, anyway.” “Physically. What about emotionally?” Rosie looked up, the dish in her hand forgotten. Her eyes zoomed out to some distant place. “I don’t know. Maybe if you hide it in something that’s good on the surface--like getting a child a balloon. Or if you have to choose between something that’s hurtful and something a little less hurtful.” She shook her head and resumed washing dishes. “But wouldn’t you choose the less hurtful thing, too?” They finished cleaning the dishes in a far less-comfortable silence. After the work was done, Rosie followed Brad to their bedroom. “I hope I didn’t upset you,” Rosie said. “You know I never want to upset you.” “You didn’t,” Brad said. “I’m always upset when I have to deal with the old family.” “But you still love them, don’t you?” “The kids, yeah. Love ‘em to death. It’s everyone else I wish I could reprogram.” They laughed quietly and moved closer. Their hands touched, and a spark of electric current ran up Brad’s arm. Rosie met his gaze with wide eyes, her nose an inch from his. “Are we--” “Not tonight,” Brad said, and kissed her. “I love you.” “I love you too.” “Set alarm for seven thirty tomorrow morning.” “Alarm set for seven thirty,” Rosie said, and closed her eyes.