Smiling and spectral in the sharp chill autumn air we dark forms sit in silence, black nightmare costumes over thermal underwear like flesh hiding the skeleton. Here at our lair we wait, red cellophane in the porchlight hell-lighting us. Our chairs flank the brass urn, repository of snakes, spiders, eyeballs all made of plastic, and colorful wrappers with apportioned sweetness. We await the bait takers, the thrill seekers, the daring, the little inductees into the pageantry of the day of witchery and death. Out on the road, a family pauses and mother, father stand there as do the remote mountains where the gods reside untouchable, immovable, and they gesture to our house. Their daughter looks to us, one of us garbed as a faceless spectre the other as the king of demons. She sets her foot on the concrete walkway, cringing, and with the measured shaking steps of fear and care creeps alone to her doom. Locking her small glittering eyes to the impassive visages of masquerade she inches towards the fiery glare and suddenly cries out to us–to us! [i]“I’m SCARED!”[/i] We smile bone deep under flesh, under masks, and nod. Feet darting like little feathers she reaches our porch stairs, and her tiny hand darts out to seize her prize without entreaty or trickery. With fistful of plastic skeleton and chocolate she retreats, never looking back, and our hearts blaze against the biting air and passing years and scent of dying leaves. Only the brave deserve the good candy.