I shifted in my seat as I placed my phone beside me. There really was no comfortable way to sit on it, always one corner poking you in the ass somewhere. The water I sipped on was stale and warm, but whatever, I wasn’t really going to complain over that. “So…” I gestured around me. The flickering lights and noise made it hard to focus my voice, but I tried to ignore that as best as I could. “I guess you guys want to know.” I leaned back, and cleared my throat. “It had to be Christmas of course, why wouldn’t it be, right? That one time of the year that guilt makes you gullible enough to be tricked into visiting your family. No work or school, so there’s really no excuse. Well, that was my situation, unfortunately.” “It’s not bad if you’re driving like ten minutes across town, it’s a different matter entirely when your parents live on an island in the middle of goddamn nowhere, making you have to drive all day to get out there. And that’s not even the worst part, honestly. That would be bearable if you could at least leave on your own time but no, getting to an island requires a ferry, and those goddamned things have set schedules and set capacities. So not only do I have to time my trips out home, I have to be out there early enough to beat all the other schmucks waiting until Christmas Eve to come home.” I sighed, took another sip of water, and glanced around. “Anyways, back on track. The drive wasn’t that bad, at least. I managed to get on the road easily. Guess it was only dumb asses like me waiting so late before going home for the holidays. So, yeah, I make the long drive, stop for gas in a few places, whizz, get something to eat, yadda, yadda, the whole usual travel shebang. Eventually I’m there, waiting at the dock, back sore and feet numb from having driven all day. Mission complete right? Well, not yet.” I briefly check my phone, there’s still isn’t a signal. I look back up an continue. “It’s pitch black out when they finally let us board. And the only lights in this rural part of goddamn nowhere is the ferry. So we board. The workers force me out of my vehicle and up into the little lobby area to pay and sit down, apparently you’re not allowed to stay in your car anymore on the the ride home. Must’ve changed since the last time I was home. “The trip isn’t too bad, you know? Only about fifty or so minutes, but Jesus if it isn’t boring. No wifi, no TV, and no one I really know on the boat. Can’t even get a cell signal half the time because there’s barely any cell towers out in this part. Basically you sit there and either nap, or talk to someone, or look out one of the windows and zone out.” I chuckled, and stretch my arms slightly. “About half an hour of mind numbing boredom, I get up to whizz. Figured I might as well before we get home, that way I’m not rushing to the house pissing my pants. First time I’ve seen mom and dad in months and pushing them both out of the way to make a beeline towards the washroom sends the wrong impression I think.” “So I get up, go in the bathroom, whizz, and wash my hands. And that’s when it hits me. No, not an idea or anything. But the mirror. I’m just washing my hands, picking at my face a little bit, when the whole floor underneath me twists and the mirror comes rushing up to meet my face with a nice little ‘how do you do’. “Now the only reason I’m still alive must be because the doors on the ferry are pressurized and sealed to prevent flooding from one room to the next. I must’ve been out for a few minutes, because when I came to, there’s glass everywhere, the emergency lights are on, and everywhere outside I can hear the metal twisting and rupturing.” I look at my phone again, still no signal. The water bottle sloshes as the hull shifts around me. “So what happens next? I… I don’t know, but I hope you find me soon.” I pressed the record button on my phone, and put my head in my hands.