Pinkie Pie loved camping. The nature, the campfires, making s’mores, telling ghost stories, no longer forgetting to put out the fire when you’re about to go to sleep, looking at the stars, the friends… It was like a small party in the woods. There was much to like about going camping, whether it was planned of improvised. Though very much the latter, this time was… different, for a number of reasons, but she’d still do her best to make it enjoyable. At the very least the fire kept them warm in the otherwise cold late autumn night. She threw Rainbow Dash a sidelong glance. Though her face was shrouded in darkness due to her facing away from the fire, she could still sense a feel of unease in her friend’s eyes. Her fingers played with the zipper of her backpack. They had stopped at a gas station about an hour ago, and she had loaded up on snacks for the rest of the trip. Maybe having something to eat would cheer up her sporty friend. “Hey, Dashie. I think I have some marshmallows in my backpack, wanna roast some?” “Pinkie, just… don’t,” was her reply. A bit annoyed, wistful, but mostly just tired. She didn’t even get to pull out the bag of candy. With slightly less good spirits, she once more settled down and looked away; even though she tried to think of something to say, nothing felt right. “How long has it been? Sunset and Applejack should already—” “I’m sorry,” Pinkie blurted out, “I shouldn’t have suggested this road trip.” “What?” For the first time in a while, Dash looked right at her, her earlier discontent replaced with disbelief. “We should’ve just taken a flight with Rarity and Fluttershy. We could’ve waited a day or two and then we all could’ve gone together.” Rainbow stayed silent for a few seconds before shaking her head and giving out a drawn out sigh. “Hey, they had stuff to do, otherwise they would’ve come with us. Everyone agreed an overnight road trip was a great idea.” “But we could’ve—” Her words were cut short when she felt Dash’s hand on her shoulder. Looking back at her friend, Pinkie saw the small smile on her face. “Coulda, shoulda, woulda,” she said, “We decided to drive, Rarity and Fluttershy would meet us once we got there. That’s the end of it… And I don't want to hear you blaming yourself for anything else tonight, okay?” A smile made its way to Pinkie’s face, and she did little to stop it. “Do… Do you think I overdid it with the pull string fireworks, though? The label did say they shouldn't be used indoors,” she said timidly. “Perhaps, but to be honest we were already pretty rowdy by that point…” Dash must’ve realised Pinkie frowned at that because she soon continued, “Just so you know, I don’t regret coming, neither do Applejack or Sunset. Even in spite of… well… you know. It’s been a fun ride, and I’m sure the girls think the same.” Pinkie saw see a smile form on her friend’s face, which made hers grow much wider. Despite the bumpy road and the not-so-great night. Dash’s words warmed her up far more than the fire could. Well, maybe about the same, the fire was starting to get uncomfortable. She looked back at the burning car behind them. At least they’d managed to push it away from the trees before the engine went up in flames. She still wasn’t sure why that had happened. “You know, perhaps taking out the fire extinguisher to make room for the espresso machine wasn’t the best idea.” “Pinkie just... let's not think about it until the girls are back with help, a'ight?” “Oh! Hehehe… Sorry, Dash.”