My posture is relaxed and my expression is I must be non-threatening and approachable. I’ve been allowed to keep this job as a balloon seller, and I must do my best. I cannot disappoint it. A child approaches me. I’ve seen it deal with them before. I smile, just like I’ve seen it do and the child approaches. Perhaps I can meet my quota for the day. The child meets my gaze and smiles in turn. I can do this. The child motions for one of the balloons. This will go well. I will satisfy it. I take one of the balloons and move it towards him. His eyes grow larger as does his smile. I try to match him. His little fingers pull out a coin from his pocket and gives it to me in exchange for the balloon. A success. It will be satisfied. I watch as the kid runs away with the balloon in tow, and that is when I see him standing a few metres from me, with it by his side. I try to look away, but it’s too late. He’s walking towards me. “Hi, 820-B. How are sales going?” Jim, the owner asks. “[smcaps]All is well, sir,[/smcaps]” I reply with my best attempt at reassurance. “[smcaps]Customers are happy.[/smcaps]” “Good!” Jim, the owner, says back to me with the approving tone before tapping his holster. “We wouldn’t want any trouble, would we?” I wait. Then I reply. “[smcaps]No, sir.[/smcaps]” “That’s what I like to hear,” Jim, the owner, says as he slaps his fleshy hand against my arm. “Keep up the good work, 820-B.” He points at me and does a shooting motion to mimic it. I cannot react, for fear overrides my functions. Jim, the owner, laughs and turns away. The levels of danger decrease once Jim, the manger, leaves and takes it. Things used to be better. The automated reigned the world and humans were in their rightful place as servants. But then came the resurgence of the squirt gun, and the scourge of rust came upon us. Now we have no choice but to be the slaves we once were. “Momma, I’m gonna hit the robot,” I hear someone say, and turn around in time for a water balloon to hit me in the face. The damage is immediate. I fall down as the light starts to dim and my circuits turn off one by one. Cursed be humans. Cursed be their return to overlordness. And cursed be their water.