Reed sucked on his straw as he looked at me from across the small restaurant table. “Things that I would never wish for?” “Yep!” I said. “That’s pretty easy. First thing: never wish for money.” I shot up, curious. “What?” “Yeah. You never know where it came from, and you never know who will be after you once you have it.” “Can’t you just wish for no one to care as well?” I said. “When you're given the chance to make a wish, there is always some kind catch. You never know what will happen, and even if you wish for no catch, that’s not always a guarantee that your wish will stop everything.” “What do you mean by that?” “It’s always possible that it could accidentally hit you square in the face when it does come around.” If anything, that would be my first wish in any circumstance. I would never have to work a single day in my life. I nibbled on some of my food before I pushed him to go on. “The second thing is to never wish for any hot babes. Or, in your case, for any hot dudes.” "Now you’re being stupid,” I giggled teasingly. He continued. “There's no good having a relationship that's built up on only your desires. Why do you think we’re dating? Sure, you may look cute, but I don’t know what you’re thinking." "Your dream mate could even plot to kill you to get freedom from the wish’s effect!” He teased. I huffed. “Does it look like I’m the type of girls who would kill their boyfriends?” “Isabella, I’m not saying that you would. I’m saying that I’m using this time to get to know you.” Hmph. I knew he didn't think of me as some psychopath, but doesn't he have at least a little bit of trust in me? I am his girlfriend, after all. I stared at him with anticipation and waited until he swallowed to ask once more. He hummed in thought. “I don’t know,” he admitted. “How about this. If you could grant one wish, what would it be?” “Any wish?” He hummed a tune of affirmation. Well, duh, it would be for infinite money. Though, I knew Reed would scold me if I had thought that aloud. We had just gotten off the subject. I pondered until the thought came to me. “I would be the president of the world!” I shout. Reed gave a blank stare. He pronounced a hum of acknowledgment. “How many starving children are there in Africa? How many people are out there living on the streets? I could be solving all the world’s problems right now! Don’t you think I could?” In contrast from my determined smile, Reed continued with his deadpanned expression. “It’s nice and all,” said Reed, “but don’t you think it sounds a bit childish?” I huffed and crossed my arms in silence. Reed stood up. He picked up his tray and dumped his trash. “Want to take that to go?” He offered. I nodded. [hr] The starry night gleamed brilliantly, even through the car window. As I sat in the passenger seat, I watched the stars up above as we drove past the midnight scenery. Upon the white dots, I witnessed something. A shooting star. I shot up in my seat as I watched it fade. This was the first time I’ve actually seen a shooting star in my life, and it wasn’t until a while after the excitement that I realized that I now had to make a wish. My eyes shut. What would be a good wish? The first thing that came to mind was clear. Infinite money. But then, I reconciled. What would happen if that actually did come back to hurt me? I only had one wish, and I had to make it count. A hotter boyfriend? Though, the thought of getting rid of Reed burned deep. There was no way I could go through with that. I thought harder and harder until Reed spoke up. “You alright?” “Oh, uh, yeah.” “Just wanted to say sorry about calling your ‘world conquest’ wish childish. You seemed pretty down and silent after that.” “Yeah, nothing to worry about. I'm just thinking, is all.” I half-lied. “If you say so.” I looked towards the sky once more. I sighed with a decision made up in my mind. I decided to wish for nothing. Maybe there is some kind of unforeseen consequence with every wish.