I take up wooden wand, the pulsing charge A thrum alike to life within my hands. It surges from me to the gleaming tip, Awaiting blood, it quivers as I dip. Plunged deep to bottom, drinking in the ink, The dark swirls through its vein-like filigree. I pull it free, it lets one drop fall short And spatter by my paper, but no chance Shall mar the blankness that is mine to fill. I pause as glimmers fight below my gaze As fish chase breadcrumbs in subconscious pond, Then touch the pen to paper–and it runs, And floods the fibers true with fine black lines That trace the moves I made, as present flows In single point across the page, a dance Of contact twixt the nib and creamy clay. As rapt as they, thoughts swirling ‘round the point When they leap down to weave into the page, Or, judged unready, swift sent back to sulk, Recording in remembered deeds not done The mental inverse of the flowing work. Some thoughts take longer and the pausing nib Leaves deeper stains that dot the coming sheet, Anon 'twill be my game to hide them well, As buds among the trunk and growing branch Of discourse yet to come. But now I slow, And bring it down to one sharp single line– And to it thus, the whole work I consign.