“Sister,” Luna began, poking Celestia in the flank. “We might have a problem.” Celestia let out an ungainly ‘snerk’ ah her head jolted up from the pillow. Her horn flared with magic, lifting a sword into the air and she cast blearily around the dingy inn room. “Uh? Wha... Luna, what are you doing? It’s still dark out.” Luna shot her a flat look. “You raise the sun.” “Which means I [i]know[/i] it’s too early.” Celestia shook her head, running a hoof through her tangled pink mane. “Urgh I can still taste the mead. What’s the problem, anyway, is Baron von Lich-y Pants invading again?” “That wasn’t his name.” Celestia shrugged. “Eh, they all blend into one. Okay, is it one of the Seven Princes bounty hunters?” Luna shook her head. “Another of Star Swirl’s lost empires invading again?” Luna cocked a brow. “What? It’s happened three times now. Okay, have any of the following returned: Sombra; Discord; Baltheon; Gorgoth; Tirek; Kerberos; Desolation; Timmat; Star Swirl’s evil twin or Chillmaw?” “The seals remained strong last I checked.” Luna sighed and shook her head. “No, it seems that a large number of ponies have gathered outside.” “Again?” Celestia flopped bonelessly back onto the straw mattress. “What’s set them off this time? I swear I haven’t slept with anypony’s son or daughter... without permission.” Luna pursed her lips. “Perhaps I should show you. I’d suggest wearing your good armour.” Without another word she slipped out of the room. “Urgh.” Celestia shot a dirty look out of the window at the predawn sky. With a sullen burst of magic she hefted the sun over the horizon. If she had to be up early the rest of the world would just have to suffer alongside her. A few minutes later, her mane still a mess and her golden armour askew Celestia stepped out onto the inn’s narrow balcony. Her sister stood vigil there, her armour shining silver in the dawn light as she stared impassively at the crowd. As one, the assembled ponies dropped to their knees in a deep bow. Celestia did a doubletake. “Well that’s never happened before. Hello, citizens of—” For a moment she wracked her brains trying to remember the name of the township and came up short. “—this fine land. How can I help you this morning?” “And how much of a head start will we get this time,” Luna muttered. “Excuse me, your Majesties,” a stallion near the front chimed in. “But we’re here to... swear fealty to you.” Celestia blanched. “I’m sorry, I’m still a little hungover. WHAT!? Don’t you ponies have a lord for that already?” “The lich killed him!” somepony at the back called out. “An heir?” “And her.” “A constable?” “It was very thorough.” With a sigh Celestia shook her head. “Okay, well I guess I understand why you’re at a lose end. Still, my sister and I are sell swords. We're definitely not leadership material. I mean what about us suggests we should be lords of anything?” There was a moment’s conferring. “Well, you are both alicorns,” the first stallion called out. Celestia pressed a hoof against her head. “No. I’ve explained this far too many times now. The wings and horns are just a side-effect of wielding a couple to immensely powerful artifacts to overthrow Discord and his reign of...” She realised she might not be helping her case. “Nevermind, race is a terrible reason to chose your rulers.” There was another round of muttering. “How about the immortality?” “It's not immortality, I just haven’t aged for a while!” Celestia snapped. “And also not a good way of picking a ruler. Heck, if anything it makes things worse. Has anypony got any sensible reasons why I should be in charge?” One of the foals raised a hoof. “Didn’t you just raise the sun?” Celestia scowled, opened her mouth and spent a long moment trying to figure out the appropriate response to that. “Does that make you a god?” “Okay, fine,” she said, with a longsuffering sight. “We’ll help you, but only if you never mention the god thing again.” The crowd erupted into wild cheering. Celestia rolled her eyes. “Are you sure this is a good idea, sister?” Luna murmured. Celestia shrugged. “Well you said you were tired to traipsing around the country. I wouldn’t worry though, I’m sure they’ll get bored of us in a year or two and chase us out of... of... Luna, what’s this Principality called again?” “Equestria.”