“The Neighponese are really just looking for a token gesture of comradere here, Princess. Just eat, smile, bow when appropriate—you’ve done this countless times before, I don’t know why I’m briefing you—“ Celestia smiled. “I always appreciate your input, Proper Ettiquette. You’ve saved me from making many a social faux pas during these social events. Why, just the other day you had to remind me that the rules for houseguests in this country had changed since my last visit; I would have made a complete fool of myself otherwise.” “Please, Princess, they would not have held it against you if you had actually asked for a larger cushion—Besides, you’re royalty, they would have been pleased to serve.” “Either way, I am glad for your assistance. Now, tell me about this banquet I’m to attend.” “Seven courses, you’ll need to pace yourself. Don’t take anything you won’t finish, but make sure you take at least one item per course, or you’ll insult their cooking. Accept a glass of, but beware of, their wine, it's potent. Otherwise, just eat, make small talk, see if there’s any food aid we can lend since they had that typhoon that damaged their crops this season, and you’ll do well, as always.” Celestia placed a hoof on Proper Etiquette’s withers. “With your help, I’m sure I’ll do fine.” “One more thing princess,” Etiquette said, “course six consists mostly of cakes... just... remember there’s a seventh course.” Celestia frowned. She would never live that Foal Free Press article down. [hr] The Neighponese prime minister, Sunrise, was an absolute delight. She regaled Celestia with tales of enhanced public services, community success stories, and the possibilities of increased trade with Equestria. The first several courses were gone before Celestia had even realized it. She was pretty sure there was a flavored bread involved, a soup and... a light salad? Definitely a light salad. She looked down to what she was currently eating and saw that it was some kind of fried noodles. “Do you have any suggestions, Princess?” Celestia had thankfully been paying attention, despite her sudden preoccupation with calculating numbers of courses, calories per course, and number of laps around Canterlot Castle to burn them back off. “Equestria would be more than happy to donate enough food to more than cover your losses during the disaster.” Sunrise seemed most overjoyed at the news. “I would like to announce it to everypony at the end of the meal, Princess. My ponies will be so relieved.” Celestia agreed as her empty pasta plate was cleared from the table. The main course was an assortment of sautéed vegetables with a flavorful sauce. Celestia was most impressed with the skill of the chefs and mentioned it to Sunrise. They seemed overjoyed to be able to send compliments back to the kitchen. As the assorted cakes were brought to the table, Celestia felt a slight discomfort in her gut. She chalked it up to eating a little too quickly and resolved to slow down. That resolve quickly evaporated when she spied no less than three cake slices that appealed to her. The Neighponese bakers knew how to make flavorful pastry, that was for sure. Each slice was ecstasy, but with each one, her stomach’s discomfort grew. The final course was just fruit and Celestia wasted no time trying to use it to calm her digestive tract. All the while, Sunrise continued to talk, but now Celestia was not listening. She put a hoof to her mouth as her gorge tried to rise. She was going to have to excuse herself, social faux pas or not; there was no way she could— And Sunrise had stood and clinked a glass for everypony’s attention. They started talking, and Celestia could only feel the rumbling and gurgling of her midsection increase. She heard the clapping of hooves and saw Sunrise looking at her with a large smile on their face... and a sprig of broccoli stuck right in their incisors. What had taken nearly an hour to eat found its way onto the Neighponese prime minister in less than ten seconds. [hr] After having herself quickly flown back to Canterlot, Celestia found a couch outside her’s and Luna’s rooms, grabbed a waste bin, and laid down. Luna exited her room and spotted Celestia on the couch. “Sister? Back from the dinner so soon? Celestia quickly explained the evening’s events. “Well... at least it wasn't any worse?” At least Clestia could smile at that.