“I must admit,” Solar Swirl said, the deliberate lightness of his tone coiling like a springtrap, “I find myself curious as to why a young pegasus mare whose name and mark imply [i]textile work[/i] knows about confidential research that I have spent decades working on,” he paused, eyes narrowing, “And, for that matter, why she cares.” If the beautiful mare across from him was intimidated, she did not show it. Her unnaturally white coat gleamed in the lamplight, unmarred by the dirt and dust of the world outside. Her slight smile never wavered. “I did my research.” Above the disarming smile, her sharp green eyes were hard as flint. “That does not explain,” he said coolly, “why you care about bond magic.” Gossamer Loom gestured at the parchment lying between them. “We know that the emotional bonds between sapient beings have power. We know that because this country was [i]founded[/i] on it, scarcely over a century ago. And yet we haven’t the slightest clue how it works, how to [i]control[/i] it.” His frown tightened. “I am [i]aware[/i]—” “You worked alone,” she interrupted, “This is about [i]bonds[/i], emotional investment is needed. Nopony else had that. But I do.” He leaned forward. “You still haven’t answered me. [i]Why do you care?[/i]” Silence. The lamplight flickered. “...I have never understood other ponies,” she spoke at last. “I understand [i]what[/i] drives them. I just don’t understand why.” For the first time, her smile vanished. “It’s… frustrating. I can mold ponies however I please with a well-timed word or glance, but I cannot grasp how they connect. It’s unpredictable. Unknowable.” Her eyes bored into him. “I want to know. This ritual will let me. I just need you to cast it.” She slid the parchment across the table. Solar Swirl contemplated it for a moment, before wordlessly lifting it in his magic, bringing it into the light. After a minute, he set it back down again. “The ritual is… sound.” He eyed her. Her smile was all teeth. “I did my research.” He glanced down again, then gave a sharp nod. “You have yourself a deal.” [hr] Solar Swirl looked out upon the array that might help him complete his life’s work, unlock secrets his vaunted predecessor never could. He breathed deep, lit his horn, and cast. Instantly, Gossamer stiffened, eyes staring up and out into the darkness. “Oh,” she said softly. “What?” he asked urgently, “What do you see?” “It’s beautiful,” she said distantly. Her lip curled. “Show me!” he demanded, eyes darting around—and suddenly he could see. He barely noticed as the air left his lungs. All around them, stretching through the air and on into the horizon, glowing threads of golden light filled the sky and dropped down towards the earth. The small town, dark and empty a moment ago, was lit up even brighter than the heavens. Ropes threaded from house to house, and in each dwelling a shimmering ball of light—he looked down. His body [i]shone[/i]. “Oh Elysium,” he whispered, the long-forgotten feeling of reverence stirring in his chest. “It’s beautiful.” “Yes,” he turned, blinking in surprise. He’d almost forgotten about his companion, but there she stood; barely visible through the golden glow, surrounded by glowing thread. “It really is, isn’t it.” And then she reached out a hoof to one of the threads, and [i]pulled[/i]. He blinked, gaping, as with a firm tug the golden light went taut—and then snapped. “W-what are you doing!?” he cried out, leaping towards her—but fell back as he hit the still active array. He watched in disbelief, and then horror, as one by one the golden threads connected to her vanished—and the shining light of her soul grew dimmer and smaller. Finally, the last thread dissipated, and Gossamer stood alone. The self-inflicted damage had not been kind to her. Her unnatural beauty was gone, wispy turquoise hair turned a stringy green, alabaster coat a dull grey. And yet he could see her face, in the dull light of her broken soul. She looked happy. “Why?” he whispered, legs rooted in place. She smiled. “I can understand it now. I can control it. And I want no part of it.” And with a terrible wrench, she pulled the light from her soul. The world [i]twisted[/i] around her, and Solar Swirl collapsed. Dimly, he saw Gossamer approach—she looked [i]withered[/i], pockmarked and burnt, fur gone and skin black. Her smile was all teeth. Her face lowered to his own, and he knew no more.