The first of the notes when it jostles my ear Resembles a grinding machine Contending with coffee. The rattles appear And fade in the distance beyond. The clattering strengthens to vary between Cement as it's dumped in a pond And icicles dancing on breezes unseen, A musical crunching. It's strange. Disturbed, I abandon my work and abscond To peer where the curtains arrange A gap—for the boss has declared that he's fond Of canning us slackers and drones. I'm panting and itch like a dog with the mange, Afraid that the ringing of phones Will show I've forsaken the business exchange, But listen! It's closer, I'm sure! It's awful and wonderful, shaking my bones, Expanding its rhythmic allure With melody, delicate crystalline tones. Harmonic, it's sparking an urge! And there! At the corner! The shadows obscure The figures, but onward they surge! Metallic and marching, their footing secure, The robots arrive! The parade! In columns and rows, the musicians emerge, Their drums and their handbells displayed. And into the sunlight, my fellows converge, Enlisting if human or not! Resistance is useless! The thrummings persuade The fearful to zealously pot Responsible notions, the boring and staid. With whooping, we take up the rear! Together, we're dancing and partying hot! We banish the frown and the sneer! Enjoyment! Encouragement! Life as it ought! A moment's reprieve from routine...