Rainbow Dash awoke and lay still for some time, breathing uneasily and thinking of yesterday’s events: the assault on the castle with her companions... the offer... and what came afterwards. Slowly, she rose from the bed, her hooves touching down on the littered floor of the stone hall. [i]It's bright as day,[/i] she realized; perhaps this was all a dream? She looked out the window. No. The Moon was blank. The Mare was free. But that wasn't what transfixed Rainbow Dash in place. That sky, oh Celestia, that [i]sky![/i] The Moon was a jewel in the center of a spectacular nebula, running all the way across the firmament, upon it a thousand glittering stars in spiral curlicues. Far from solid black, this sky was ruddy, ochre, violet... "Is it not beautiful?" The voice spoke from behind Rainbow Dash, who gasped and twisted in place. There stood Nightmare Moon, proud and regal. "I shudder to think of the dreadful displays," Nightmare Moon continued, her eyes towards the window, "to which my sister subjected Equestria, night after night. Even now you can see that my stars and moon are a fitting substitute for the Sun." Abruptly Rainbow was struck with the realization that she'd never bask in the sun again. Her heart sank. [i]No, oh no... Oh Celestia, what have I done?[/i] "Captain Dash," Nightmare Moon said softly, and Dash's doubts wavered a little. "It is time." She moved aside, revealing a uniform folded neatly and placed atop a cushion. It was like the Wonderbolt uniform, but jet-black and purple like a reflection of the sky, and undeniably so very... [i]awesome[/i]. A fair trade?... "Put on your uniform, captain Dash, and then you shall swear an oath of loyalty to me." At the mention of 'loyalty' Rainbow's mood changed instantly. Her body quivered, once, twice, then the tears dripped from her eyes as she breathed hard. [i]No, [b]no![/b] This was a mistake! I promised we'd save them, how will I look into their faces, I must say I've changed my—[/i] "Weeping, Dash? Really? How unbecoming of the captain of my personal guard," Nightmare Moon said mockingly, and Rainbow actually felt a twinge of shame. "I understand you're second-guessing your decision? I will dispel your doubts. "Look out the window, Dash. See: the stars and the very Moon are my playthings. I was practically my sister's equal when we fought, and the millennium of banishment has done nothing to weaken me. And [i]you[/i] hoped to overthrow me?" She laughed. "What hope did a team of [i]weatherponies[/i] have against me? There was nothing at your disposal you could have used." (Rainbow blushed at the memory of their awkward attempts to hit Nightmare with a thunderbolt.) "This was inevitable. After day comes night; after Celestia's reign came... me. There was no use to struggle." Rainbow felt her heart sink at these words—[i]there was no chance?[/i]—but also something of a relief. [i]So I haven't really squandered anything...[/i] "Understand this, captain Dash: far from betraying your friends, you have [i]saved[/i] them. Normally I'd have made an example out of rebellious minds who oppose me, but... I saw the potential in you. Courageous, fiery... and fast. When you agreed, it convinced me to show mercy for the rest of you and treat your excursion as nothing more but impulsive foolishness." [hr] [i]The short, pathetic battle was at an end. All her friends swatted out of the sky, Rainbow had rushed the tyrant in desperation, only to get paralyzed and held in mid-air. "Brave," the Nightmare noted, looking her in the eye. "Foolish... but brave. "Why are you a mere weatherpony, Dash?"[/i] [hr] "You have not disgraced yourself; indeed you've elevated yourself, captain Dash," Nightmare continued. "I need only the best at my side. Under my tutelage, and with my magic, you shall live up to your full potential... And your name." [i]Name?[/i] Rainbow puzzled over what that meant, then went wide-eyed in shock. "The Sonic Rainboom," she whispered. "But that's only a myth. Nopony's ever—" "Not for millennia," Nightmare responded. "But you may be the first of your era." Rainbow's heart beat faster in her chest as she considered. Was it true? Could she really become as... as [i]cool[/i] as that? "This..." She swallowed. "This actually sounds... kinda awesome." "All I will expect from my captain of guard... and personal student," the Nightmare said, "will be... loyalty." Rainbow stood still for a while, chewing her lip, pondering. "Ooookay..." Reluctantly, she began putting on the uniform.