“Clothes?” Ember asked, the dragon skeptically examining Rarity’s dress-clad ponnequin. “Of course, darling. You want to look your best.” “They seem awfully… flammable,” she said, poking at the dress with a claw. Rarity sniffed. “Well, I can hardly make a dress out of asbestos.” Ember shook her head as she glanced around at the other dresses on display in Rarity’s boutique. “What’s wrong with armor?” Rarity waved her hoof. “Armor is fine for [i]guards[/i], but you’ll want to be [i]stunning[/i]! The ponies in Canterlot all dress in fancy clothes, so they will be quite impressed if you show up in a stunning new gown or dress for your first public appearance here in Equestria.” “If you say so,” Ember said skeptically, rubbing the fabric between two of her talons. “Well, I do say so. Here, let me get you measured…” Rarity’s horn glowed as she pulled out her measuring tape, quickly stretching it out across Ember’s back. On the other end of Rarity’s boutique, Twilight trotted in place, a grin plastered across her face. “Oh, this is so exciting! Ember is going to learn so much about pony culture! And I’ll get to pick her brain about dragon culture!” “Yeah. Too bad she’s going to be stuck going to the gala.” Spike stuck out his tongue. “Well, yes. The gala [i]is[/i] kind of boring.” Twilight said, her hooves stilling. “But it’s going to be all new for Ember! Plus we’ll get to show her around Canterlot and introduce her to Princess Luna and Celestia and everypony else there.” “Yeah, that’s true, I guess.” Spike shuffled his feet. “I just don’t think she’s going to have very much fun there.” “Well, we weren’t planning on just taking her there and abandoning her. Rarity and I were going to help introduce her to ponies. And of course, you’ll be there, too.” Spike blinked. “I will?” “Well, I assumed.” Twilight looked down at him. “You [i]are[/i] her best friend. I’d thought you’d want to be there with her.” Spike rubbed the back of his head with his hand. “Yeah, I guess it would be pretty lousy of me to run off.” “Oh, good. Because I’m pretty sure that Rarity already touched up your suit for you.” Twilight glanced across the room at Rarity and Ember, then leaned down conspiratorially. “You know, it is traditional for ponies to ask someone to go to the gala with them as a date.” “It is?” Spike’s eyes went across the room. “Yup.” Twilight nudged him on the back with her hoof. “I bet she’d say yes if you asked her.” Spike’s eyes widened. “You think so?” “I’m pretty sure she likes you.” Twilight smirked. “Plus she’s a lot closer to your age than Rarity is.” “Wait, you think I should ask [i]Ember[/i]?” “Well, yeah.” Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Wait, you didn’t think I meant [i]Rarity[/i], did you?” “Uh…” Spike rubbed his hands together, fingers fumbling against each other. Twilight crouched down. “Spike. Rarity is your friend, but she’s much older than you are. There’s nothing wrong with you having a crush on her, but it would be wrong for her to return your attention.” Spike’s eyes fell. “But…” Twilight slid one hoof under Spike’s chin, leaning over to look him in the eye. “Spike. You’re a wonderful young dragon. And you know all of us are your friends, and we love having you around. But it would be good for you to spend more time with people more your own age, too.” “I guess.” Spike kicked his foot against the ground. “Besides, she’s a dragon, too. I bet when you get older, she’ll look a lot prettier to you than ponies do.” Spike looked across the room as Rarity spread the measuring tape across one of Ember’s arms. His eyes traced over Rarity’s delicate, rounded features, her perfect, short snout, her elegant ears, her smooth coat. His eyes then flicked over to Ember’s face. Her long, thin snout.Large, curved horns instead of ears. Rigid blue scales over her cheeks and forehead. Spike swallowed and licked his lips, giving a hollow little laugh. “Right.”