“Brian, my son! How’s your first day?” Brian’s mother’s shrill voice pierced his eardrum. He moved the cell phone away from his head and grimaced. “Mom, please,” he replied softly, placing the phone back to his ear, “not so loud! It’s an open office here. And I’m not even supposed to answer private calls!” “Oh come on!” his mother protested. “Your manager won’t mind a short call this early, will he?” “Hold on.” Brian looked around for a more private space. He spotted the “Zen Cubicle”, with its coffee machine and garish beanbags, strode to its entrance and onwards to the window across. He looked down at the Hudson River. From that high up, the sight was amazing. He leaned against the pane. “Okay,” he resumed in a muffled voice. “In a semi-private area now. What’s the matter?” “Oh, Brian, are they throwing you straight to the wolves on your first morning?” “No, no, Mom. Go ahead, but make it snappy please. I only have so much time.” “I wanted to tell you Dad and I just saw the picture you sent us. My God, Brian, you look gorgeous.” Brian blushed a little. “Thanks Mom! I mean, a lawyer has to look swanky. They all do around here. All decked to the nines.” “Did you send that picture to Jessy? She’d be amazed by your new look.” “No, no, I didn’t.” “Then we’ll do it for you!” “Mom, please don’t! I’m planning on giving her a surprise when she comes over next week. Besides, I’ve already told you that I’m old enough to handle my own business. I’d really appreciate if you stopped interfering.” “Alright,” his mother said, sighing. “But what about the ring which you—” “Mom! I—” Brian blurted aloud. He covered his mouth with his other hand and craned around, self-conscious. Fortunately, no one was near enough to overhear. “I hope neither of you mentioned that to her,” he continued angrily. “Of course we didn’t, dear! Do you think we’re unable to keep a secret?” Brian grunted. “Say, they didn’t throw you in the deep end, did they? I’ve heard that in those law firms—” “Mom! It’s going to be alright, I promise. There’s no need to worry. The manager is very helpful, as is everyone else.” He looked at his watch. “Now, if you will excuse me, I [i]really[/i] need to start working.” “Fine,” his mother replied. “But be sure to call back tonight to tell us all about your day, okay?” “I will Mom. Definitely. Have a nice day and if you run into Jessy today, let her know I love her and I miss her. Goodbye!” Brian hung up, smiled to himself, and rolled his eyes. He put his phone in a pocket, then turned around to face the window. The view from here truly was breathtaking, from the glossy grey river down up to the blue expanse of the late summer sky. Idly, he watched a tiny gleam high above, like a fleeting mote of dust in the morning breeze. It seemed to grow by the second.