It wasn't every day that something like this happened. Should've seen the signs, but like some idiot, I decided to take my chances and see where it led me. Not like this was the first time I'd gotten a strange job request. "So, detective, are we in agreement on the job?" the voice asked me, echoing all through the office and giving me the feeling that there really was someone else standing next to me. Of course, that wasn't the case at all. As my hand tightened its grip on the fridge's handle, I couldn't help but wonder just what kind of bad shit I had taken the night prior. "I'm still waiting, detective," said the fridge, its tone distant, impatient, cold. I ran a hand over my face and shook my head. "I’m sorry, but It's too early to be dealing with shit like this." I moved to close the fridge, but not before taking the bottle of synthetic energy juice I had wanted in the first place. I moved away from the kitchen and into the 'office' space that was my miserably small apartment. A lone table facing away from a pair of double windows overlooked a drop of nearly one million floors. I really felt bad for the fools who had been unfortunate enough to be placed in the lowermost parts. Then again, no one asked to be stuck here along with the rest of the oranges. "Hey, you didn't give me an answer, detective!" said the fridge, the two doors bursting open and allowing a deep cold to cover most of my apartment. "I'm seeking you out because you are the best of the best." I sighed and turned to face the damn apparatus. "Listen here, you little piece of crap," I said, furiously trying to put out of my mind the fact that I was yelling at a fridge. "I like where I am right now. Ten thousand years I spent clawing my way out from the warrior caste. I am by no means going to risk my good life just to please some voice coming out of my fridge." "I told you already, my name is T'chon, and I am an old god that has been stuck in this hellhole for the last million years. Had it not been for your human masters punching their way into this dimension and setting up this tower, I would have never been able to free myself as I have." I snorted. "Oh? If that's the case, then why didn't you speak to one of my masters then? I'm sure they're far more fascinated by the idea of elder gods." "I can't speak to them. Humans have evolved to a point where they themselves could be considered elder gods. Elder gods don't mix well with each other. Hence, why we work through lower species." I crossed my arms. "Okay. Say I believe that shit. Why pick me?" "Like I said, you are the most capable of your kind. A former warrior who has lived for ten thousand years and first orange to almost rival human conscience. Compared to you, the rest of your species might as well be primordial ooze!" I rolled my eyes. "Keep trying to sweet talk me. See where that gets you." I scooted my chair over and took a seat. "But say you are correct about me being some kind of 'superior' member of my race. It doesn't change the fact that I'm quite powerless compared to them.” "I can help you with that," said the fridge in a chipper tone than before. "Altering genetic material from lesser races is kind of our specialty." The fridge's words game me pause. "did you say 'ours'? As in, plural?" "Yes. I'm not the only one stuck in this hellish dimension." I again crossed my arms. "So, that's what this is about. You want me to help free your kind, and in return, you're going to reward me with something." "Yes. With the combined might of all my kind, we can make it so you oranges ascend to the same level as your masters. This is your one shot at power!" I paused at the fridge's words. "I must be crazy," I said as I stood up and walked towards the fridge. "But you know what, I'll take you up on that offer." And just like that, I became something greater. But that's a story for another time.