“No! Please, could you check just one more time?” The colt shook his head from behind the counter, his graying mane moving back and forth beneath his blue ticket handler cap. “I’m sorry, m’am, but I’ve already checked for ya. If there weren’t any openings before, there sure aren’t any now.” “Please!” I placed my hooves on the counter, their yellowy color contrasting the wood beneath them. “This was the last train to Manehattan; my family will be worried sick if I’m not home like I promised.” “I did what I could, Miss… pardon me, what was it again?” “Fauna.” “Ah, yes. I’m sorry, Miss Fauna, but there’s simply nothing I can do. You have my apologies, if it matters.” He scratched his head with a light brown hoof, slowly changing his grimace into a smile. “For what it’s worth, have a merry Hearth’s Warming Eve!” With that, the colt raised an arm up, dropping a metal shutter over the ticket counter’s window and making me flinch. I stared at the closed booth for just a moment, as if expecting the colt to reappear with a friendly ‘just kidding’. It never happened. With a frustrated sigh, I turned away from the counter, clumsily trying to wrap my scarf tighter around me. I gripped the red cloth in my mouth and tugged, hoping that the accessory wouldn’t end up wrapping itself around the green strands of my mane. Satisfied, I picked up the thing I’d dropped beside me before I’d talked to the ticket colt; I felt the familiar weight of the paper bag filled with holiday gifts, gifts that my family wouldn’t be getting quite yet. There was no other choice but to turn from the counter and leave, trotting away in defeat towards where I’d came from: my mother’s house. My heart heavy, I found I couldn’t think of much else besides my family. They were probably sitting in the living room of our little house, the one we’d paid for with my flower sales and my husband’s hard work as a carpenter. My daughter would be idling about, wondering where her mother was- and most likely wondering where we were keeping the Hearth’s Warming presents, like every little filly was warrant to do. My husband would be sitting around as well, probably wondering where I’d gone to. I could still remember the conversation me and the husband had shared before I’d come out here. “Come on, dove, can’t it wait until after the holidays?” he’d questioned. I’d simply shaken my head and smiled. “No, Sterling Saw, I’m going. It’d be wrong for my mother to be all alone on Hearth’s Warming Eve. I know you’re too busy to come along, but don’t worry about me, I’ll be back before you know it. I’ll be in Trottingham tomorrow; just make sure our little girl doesn’t hunt for the presents. Remind her that I’ll see you all before Hearth’s Warming itself.” A strong gust of wind blew, its whistling wind almost mocking me as it altered the course of the holiday snow. With a frown, I glanced upwards, eyeing the starry night sky to pass the time. [i]Of course, it’s just a lie now,[/i] I thought. [i]What a foal I was, not to get my ticket ahead of time.[/i] [i]Psssst…[/i] I froze. Glancing curiously around, I noticed that I’d stopped at about the halfway point of my route back to mother’s. Closed down shops greeted me on all sides, their owners all home and reveling in the holiday festivities. I couldn’t pinpoint where the odd sound had come from, though. [i]Must have been the wind.[/i] [i]Pssst…[/i] No, it definitely wasn’t the wind. I glanced down the narrow alley to my right, noting that it was too shadowy to see into. The nearby street light cast a glow in its direction, revealing the smallest flicker of movement within. The darkness shuffled again, seeming to part as a lone pony stepped out of it. With a gasp, I stepped back. The pony didn’t seem very threatening; it was just a white colt, wearing a shirt and hood that blocked his eyes. Still, this was a major city; you never could be too careful at night. “I-I don’t want any trouble,” I muttered. “What do you want?” The colt chuckled, raising a hoof to his mouth. “It’s not about what I want, m’am. It’s about what [b]you[/b] want.” I backed up another step. This was getting far too weird. Making sure I had a route for escape if the oddly-acting pony tried anything, I spoke up again. “What do you mean? Was that you trying to get my attention?” “Not unless you see somepony else,” he joked. “All pleasantries aside, I couldn’t help but overhear your little dilemma back at the station.” His demeanor and tone sounded far too calm to be a ruse. I allowed myself to relax a little, eyeing the pony up and down. “What of it?” “Yes, what of it indeed. You need to get back to Manehattan to see your family, and I happen to have a train ticket with me right here.” [i]Wait, what?[/i] I thought. “But there’s no more trains running tonight. The last one would have left right after I took my leave.” “That’s where you’re wrong. Haven’t you heard? This time of year is a busy one; as such, they have a secret, extra train running, in order for those tardy ponies to have a route home for the holidays.” “…An extra train?” I repeated. “But that doesn’t make any sense. When does it come? Where does it go?” “For somepony being helped out, you sure do ask a lot of questions. Here,” he said, holding out something in his hoof. “Take this.” Cautiously, I stepped forward. Swiping the thing from him, I held up towards the street light and glanced it over. It was a bright red ticket, though something didn‘t seem quite right. “I don’t understand. Shouldn’t there be something written on this? It‘s completely blank.” “Not everypony knows of this extra train, so they don’t bother with adding all the extra details. It stops at this station in, oh, about a half hour. If you hurry, you might be able to make it. As for where it goes… well, it goes everywhere.” “Everywhere?” I glanced over the ticket again, studying the blank, red slip. “Well, considering any of this is true… what’s the catch? What do you want?” “Nothing, friend. Consider it a Hearth’s Warming present.” The colt chuckled again, his hoof idly tapping up and down to an unheard rhythm. “Now what are you waitin around here for? Go on, then, your family’s a-waitin’.” I looked down the street, calculating the distance I’d have to cross to get from here back to the station. If what the colt said was true, I’d be back with a few moments to spare. “Well… thank you! I never caught your name, who do I have to tha-” I glanced back to see an empty alley. The colt had dissapeared, most likely slinking back into the shadows. I scanned the alley, hoping for a glimpse of the helpful pony, but to no avail. Left with no other options, I called out into the darkness. “Thank you!” With that, I readjusted the bag in my mouth, slipping the ticket in next to a little doll for my daughter. Shooting one last glance into the alley, I began galloping back towards the station. A smile lit my face, glad to have been given a chance to keep my promise. The other two would be so happy to see me. [hr] I made it back to the station with time to spare. And yet, only one thing was on my mind. [i]So cold,[/i] I thought, rubbing my left foreleg with the other. The icy bench beneath me wasn’t helping matters, though it did make a good place to rest the bag. For once, I wished I was a pegasus instead of an earth pony; it wouldn’t be the easiest flight in this weather, but I would have been able to fly home on time. Instead, I was waiting for a train that was taking its jolly-good time getting here. [i]Though I have to admit, it’s a bit odd that I’m the only pony waiting for it.[/i] A quick glance around showed that nopony had showed up yet. The colt had mentioned that this extra train was set up so that all the ponies who ended up with no ride home could get back to where they came from. If that was so, where were the ponies that it was made for? Not that it mattered, if the train never showed up. It’d been about an hour, but there were no signs of an approaching train. [i]If it’s taking so long, I suppose I have time for a restroom break before I get on.[/i] Moments later, I was washing my hooves from within the nearby restroom. Satisfied, I claimed my bag from its spot on the floor and headed back outside. And then I gasped. Where once the platform had been empty, a slate gray train now stood beside it. Its smokestack let off little puffs of smog as it hummed, letting out the occasional whistle. Its compartments were filled with light, and from the outside, they looked pretty full. [i]What the… how the… it didn’t make any sound! And where did everypony come from?[/i] “Coming, miss?” I shook myself out of my reverie, spotting a stallion leaning out of the closest compartment. He was holding a ticket punch in an orange hoof, staring at me curiously. I stepped forward nervously, dropping the bag back to the ground as I rummaged around within. Finding what I needed, I pulled it out; the blank ticket, which the ticket taker promptly snatched up. He eyed it up and down, scratching his brown mane all the while. For a moment, I wondered if some prankster hadn’t just given me a fake ticket for a quick laugh; who would accept a blank ticket, anyway? And yet, the stallion gave a satisfied nod. I let out a relieved sigh as he punched a hole in the ticket, handing it back. “Welcome aboard, m’am!” Dropping the ticket back into my bag, I retrieved my belongings and hopped on board. The ticket taker stepped aside, making way for me to enter the compartment. Bright lights shone from the ceiling, casting a cheery glow on a red-carpeted aisle. Velvet-cushioned seats lined each side, most of them filled already with stallions and mares of all ages. The ticket taker gave a little bow, motioning towards the seats. “Take your pick.” I nodded. I began walking down the aisle, glancing back and forth as I went. Most of the seats seemed full, with ponies chatting in every section. It looked like I’d have to move to the next apartment, until I found an empty seat near the end of the car. Sliding onto the bench, I took my spot next to the window and dropped my bag off by my side. A smile crossed my face as I watched the snow drift down outside. [i]I’m coming home, everypony.[/i] [hr] My eyes creaked open slowly, the train car’s lights brightening up my view. I rubbed my eyes, tossing away any remaining weariness. Apparently, I’d managed to fall asleep at some point. A worried thought crossed my mind, [i]Did I sleep through my stop?[/i] [i]No, no, don’t be silly,[/i] I scolded myself. [i]Still, it can’t hurt to check.[/i] A glance across the aisle revealed my neighbors, a couple of (admittedly oddly-dressed) unicorns. A young, peach-colored foal hopped from bench to bench, the sailor’s cap upon his head barely managing to stay on. A pony that seemed to be his mother was idly staring out the window, the frumpy yellow dress and hat she wore giving her blue-coated form an almost regal appearance. Against my better judgment, I laughed quietly to myself. [i]Nopony’s worn anything like that in at least forty years![/i] [i]Still, maybe they know.[/i] I leaned over my bag, still resting faithfully by my side, and waved to get the foal’s attention. He paused his bouncing and eyed me curiously, turning to face me. I pointed towards his mother, smiling as he took the hint and tugged on her arm. She turned to him and whispered something, her gaze shifting to me as her son pointed in my direction. Her bored expression turned into a smile as she scooted closer, letting her son resume his antics. “Yes, how may I help you?” She questioned, her voice laced with an implacable accent. “Would you happen to know if we’ve passed Manehattan yet?” The mare tapped her chin thoughtfully. “We just passed through Detrot nary an hour ago, so I’d say Manehattan’s about ten minutes away.” She nodded quickly. “Yes, definitely ten minutes. Does that help?” “Definitely. Thanks!” I began to lean back towards my window when another question entered my mind. “Hold on. While I still have your attention, could you tell me where everypony came from?” The mare looked confused. “I assure you, madam, that nopony on this train could possibly know where everypony else originates from. What an odd question…” “No, no,” I interrupted. “When I was at the station, nopony was there. I left for just a moment, came back, and the train was there. Nopony was occupying the station before or after the train showed up. As far as I can tell, nopony got on or off the train. So where did all these ponies come from?” I finished, gesturing around the train compartment. Her look of confusion only grew. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, we’ve been here the whole time. I would suggest you get some more rest and clear your mind, dearie, but I think I can see your stop on the horizon.” She pointed to her window. She was right; out in the distance, set against the snowy backdrop, sat Manehattan. Despite the late hour, its streets were aglow with lights from all sources. A few ponies could be seen in the distance, still moving about the city’s snow-covered streets at this time of night. As if on cue, the ticket taker walked in from the car behind us. “Fillies and gentlecolts, we will be arriving in Manehatten in five minutes. Thanks for riding, and have a merry Hearth’s Warming!” He went on to list a series of other stops they’d be heading to next, but I paid no attention. Eagerly clasping my bag in my mouth again, I muttered a thanks to the odd unicorn for her time. She nodded politely, once again turning to glance out the window. Five minutes later, the train began slowing its pace. A look outside revealed that we were rolling into the station, its wooden platform completely empty. I waited patiently for the train to slow to a stop, rocking back a little as it did so. Not wanting to keep my family waiting any longer, I got up and started making my way to the exit. [i]Well that’s odd,[/i] I thought. As I made my way to the front, I found myself paying more attention to the other riders. Not a single one of them got up to exit, though they all seemed to be dressed completely different. Some looked like they stole their clothes straight from my grandmare’s clothing chest, and yet others looked relatively modern. Of course, there was the occasional pony who wore nothing, but their hairstyles and accessories also seemed to cover a number of time periods. I was so focused on the other riders that I almost bumped into the ticket taker. A nervous blush lit my face as I apologized, making my way past him and to the exit. “No troubles, m’am,” he promised. “Come ride again soon, ya hear?” I nodded, stepping out into the snow. Without looking back, I began heading in the direction I knew would lead me home. And yet, as I walked, something was itching at the back of my mind. [i]Something was a bit… off, with that stallion’s voice.[/i] [hr] The walk home was uneventful. Despite almost shivering out of my scarf, I’d managed to make the trek to the familiar red-bricked building that I called home. I stepped forward and twisted the knob on the wooden front door, hoping that my family had left it unlocked. I was met with a satisfying [i]click[/i] as the knob turned, allowing me access. I slowly nudged open the door, deciding to surprise the others. [i]Even [b]I[/b] didn’t think I’d be coming home; imagine their reactions when they see me![/i] Entering the front hallway, I gently closed the door behind me. Finally getting out of the cold felt heavenly, and I stopped for just a moment to enjoy the feeling. Knowing that I was wasting time, I headed down the hall towards our living room. I passed our kitchen along the way. It smelled as if it’d just been used. [i]Sterling must have taken some time to help our little girl make some treats for Santa Colt.[/i] She sighed happily. [i]I hope she didn’t find the presents in the far back of the pantry.[/i] Leaving it behind, I continued on into our living room. A fire was roaring in the fireplace, our Hearth’s Warming tree seated in the corner across from it. A smile lit my face as I saw the two figures seated in front of the fire; my little girl, playing with her favorite doll, and sitting right behind her in his favorite chair, Sterling Saw. He was enraptured with a novel he’d recently started, barely paying any attention as I snuck up behind the two of them. I sat the bag quietly behind his chair before sneaking to his front, stopping behind our daughter. They remained completely oblivious as I leaned in close to her and whispered, “Peekaboo!” She turned, looking towards me with a smile. A grin lit my face as she spoke to me, “Daddy, is momma gonna be home soon?” “It’s wonderful to see you t-” I froze. A hearty laugh escaped me as I shook my head. “Silly little filly, I’m right he-” “Hopefully, pumpkin,” Sterling murmured. He flipped a page in his book, muttering to himself. I listened in, catching something akin to ‘where is that mare’. “Alright,” I announced, “This isn’t a very funny joke.” I glanced between the two; our daughter had gone back to twirling her doll around, and my husband refused to take his nose out of that book. “Cut it out!” I turned and reached forward, determined to give Sterling a piece of my mind. I gasped. [i]No… that’s impossible.[/i] But no, I could see it. My hoof was definitely touching my husband. What I didn’t expect was that it was going right through him. Disbelievingly, I reached farther, watching as my hoof passed cleanly through his shoulder. I pulled back with a yelp. “What’s going on?” I wondered aloud. Quickly turning, I poked my daughter as well. She remained focused on her toy as my hoof passed right through her head. “This… this makes no sense!” I breathed. “Come on, you two! I’m right here!” I stomped the ground, I waved my hooves in their face, and I poked and prodded them as much as I could (to the same eerie result), yet they seemed completely convinced that I wasn’t there. With a frustrated yell, I ran back down our front hallway and out into the streets. [i]There![/i] A lone stallion was walking down the snowy road, most likely heading home from a holiday party or family gathering. With a howl, I leapt at him, thinking it’d be worth scaring him half to death and a possible restraining order as long as it proved I still existed. [i]Thunk![/i] My face met the hard ground as I slipped right through him. Glancing up dazedly, I watched as he walked on as if nothing had happened. Refusing to give up, I looked around, spotting a mare coming in the same direction. With a snarl, I leapt again. Five ponies later, I was still completely invisible. My face sat in the snow; the cold was starting to sting, but I knew if I got up again I’d just attempt another unsuccessful assault in an attempt to be noticed. [i]This… this can’t be happening! I can’t be invisible![/i] “You’re not invisible.” My head shot up. I blinked the snow out of my eyes, eager to see who’d finally taken notice. And then I gasped. A steel wall loomed over me. It was the train I’d came in on, sitting in the least likely of places. This wouldn’t be quite as big a shock, except that is was currently running in the middle of the street. I peeked below it, noting that there were no tracks to be seen. I let out a little shriek as a pony suddenly stepped through the train, passing through me as well as if we didn‘t exist. [i]How the… what the…[/i] “Confused?” The voice said again. The familiar tone caught my attention as I slowly got up, looking at the train car’s entrance. Leaning out of it was the ticket taker, ignoring the snow piling up on his orange coat. “Yes!” I replied. “What do you mean I’m not invisible? Nopony can see me!” “I can see you.” “Yes, but you’re the only one who can! What’s going on?” The stallion chuckled. “It’ll be a bit difficult to explain, m’am, but I’m sure you’ll come to understand. All will be answered, as soon as you come on board.” He extended a hoof to me. Against my better judgement, I accepted it, allowing him to pull me into the locomotive. “Alright, I’m on, expla-” I began, pausing as I looked at the ticket taker. My question turned into a shriek as I noted that his form had changed; where once there was an orange coat, there was white. Looking back at me wasn’t the ticket taker, but the pony from the alley who’d given me the ticket in the first place. There was nothing blocking his eyes this time, and I stared at the pupil-less, glowing spheres in terror. “Welcome aboard, m’am!” He shouted, laughing heartily. “We’re glad to have you back.” [hr] “No luck, Commissioner Colton. Should we call off the search?” The policepony scratched his head, rubbing his straw-colored mane as he thought. “Let’s give it about ten more minutes before we tell the boys to pack it up.” The search pegasus saluted and flew off, leaving the blue-coated Police Chief to run the facts through his head once more. The station had had a few ponies come in, claiming that they’d the sound of a massive crash somewhere near the railroad tracks. Specifically, they’d mentioned that they’d heard it coming from the portion that was suspended over a bridge, the one with the Detrot River trickling underneath it. Despite being a bit upset at having to work out in the freezing cold during the holidays, the officers had fulfilled their duty and come to the site. And, to put it simply, they’d found nothing. Almost nothing, anyway. There were odd marks in the snow, as if something large had moved through it as the object slid down into the river. There were marks on the tracks, looking as if something had run off the rails. And yet, upon inspection of the river and nearby surroundings, there was no sign of anything at all. No ponies, no trains, nothing but the trickling water of the stream. The Commissioner was starting to chalk it up to a big prank, probably based off that urban legend he’d enjoyed so much as a young foal. [i]How did it go?[/i] He wondered, racking his brain. As he recalled, there was a tale that every two or three years, around this time, a train would roll into the station. Anypony was able to get on if they wanted to, but as the legends go, you can’t get off once you’ve entered. Apparently, the train was a ghost locomotive, run by and rode by phantoms that were eager to see new ponies- and then make you one of them. Some ponies say that you could see the train drive by if you were at the right spot on Hearth’s Warming Eve, and if you looked close enough, you could see the faces of missing ponies staring out the window. Did the Commissioner believe it? Hay no, it was just an old mare’s tale. Still, the Police Chief had to admit, it was a bit odd that these reports always turned up at the same time of year. Still, with absolutely no results to be seen, the Chief was more than eager to send the boys back home and call off this pointless investigation. Until one of the search pegasi came to him. “Found somethin’, chief,” he stated. The pegasus slipped something small into the Commissioner’s hoof before taking off to resume his search. The police pony eyed it curiously, squinting to see what it was. It was a bright red ticket, with a hole punched through it. Words seemed to be written on both sides; the top half of the ticket read ‘one-way’, and underneath it was just a name: ‘Fauna’. [i]Curious…[/i] the Commissioner thought. With a shrug, he placed the evidence in the saddlebag on his back. He doubted the ticket would be of much use, but it couldn’t hurt to crosscheck to see if anypony named Fauna had gone missing recently. Best case scenario, it’d probably turn out to just be a piece of litter. Minutes later, the police chief figured his boys had tried hard enough. He called them back in, ordering everypony to return to the station. Eager to get out of the cold and back to their families, the police ponies obliged. Before he left, the police chief took one last look out at the tracks. Nothing stirred. With a shrug, the police pony began walking towards town. His ears did manage to pick up something as he left, however. It confused him, seeing as there shouldn’t have been any locomotives running at this hour. It might have just been the wind, but the Commissioner could have sworn he heard a train whistle howling somewhere nearby.