I slumbered soundly on a puff Of dandelion seed A dreaming of a sevenpence And foolish fancies; I was hence All deaf to care and need. But someone plucked me by my wings And thumped me on my rear! I leaped and screamed and cursed aloud, But then I saw, and quickly bowed-- [i]Titania[/i] was here! “Young fool,” quoth she, “You’ve slept enough, You lazy sloppy sprite! Your scales are dull, your eyes are crossed, And by my Tempest you’ll be tossed, if you don’t put things right!” I quickly combed and washed my hair With dew from off a flower. She laughed. “You look like poodle poo! But you’ll just barely, [i]barely[/i] do. You’ll leave within the hour!” “My cousin’s sister’s daughter’s friend Went playing in the grass With nimble Imps who tricked her cruelly! I’ll have you rescue her, and truly, Before worse comes to pass.” So for a sword I seized a pin, Then saddled up a bee. I took a bottle cap for shield, And in a tiny pouch I sealed A shell-phone from the sea. I girded up with spiderwebs And glimmer from the dust, Then set a helmet on my head, (A cowbell, plucked from flower bed) And flew, as needs I must. My buzzing mount bore me afar Through meadow, field and dale, Then brought me to a castle dank Made from a rusty water tank-- An ugly, vile jail! Up to the gate I strode in style. “I come for Lady Jaine! Fair Queen Titania’s cousin’s sis’s Daughter’s friend, who from abysses Dire, shall leave again!” The spiky gate creaked wide, and then An Impling stout and wild Came sneering with a lazy strut. He burped and scratched his filthy gut. “You’re much too late...” he smiled. I struck forth hard and wiped that grin Off from his foul fat face! Then from the darkness came his friends, So to my unknown fate and ends I fought my foes apace. Full deep I delved in rust and muck Until I reached the throne Of the King Impling, Egerthrotz The hatcher of the awful plots That kept fair Jaine from home. I held my pin-sword to his throat, But he was not embarrassed! “We [i]tried[/i] to tell you, simpleton! She [i]had[/i] fun here, but she’s moved on! We saw her head for Paris!” I made full certain of his words, Then strode back towards the sun, Apologized to Implings groaning, But left them in the midst of moaning, Then spurred my bee-mount on. Through wends and ways I passed the days To that capricious city, And found Jaine there atop a flue Above the [i]Café Deux Magots[/i] In nonchalant ennui. At table made from muffin tin With wine-cork at the side, She had a rough appearance, true, But seemed to me as orchids do, Their beauty tucked inside. She looked me up and down with scorn. “So, you’re Titania’s vassal? Please seek no more, you silly churl! Go tell her that the errant girl Was in another castle!” I sighed and laid aside my arms. “In truth, I find this tiring. I’ve no desire to play the knight Who seeks to rescue wayward sprites. It’s far too uninspiring.” Her gaze upon me softened, and We sat and talked for hours On how adventures were a chore And how Queen T’s an awful… bore, Amid Parisian towers. As darkness fell, we closer grew, Our interest increased. We shared our very favorite songs And commented on passing throngs Down on the distant streets. She smiled with new vivacity. “Dear Knight, my thanks to you. You’ve ‘rescued’ me from awful fate And from a life I’d come to hate, At least that much is true. “And thus you can report to her If you do truly mean To head on back--” I shook my head. “I’d sooner stop at Hell instead, And screw the bloody Queen!” Her hand flew to her smirking face And long we laughed, and hard! And through the night we chatted on, Still closer at the break of dawn, Our eyes like jewels bestarred. Then from my pouch there came a ring, My shell-phone all asputter. The Queen was calling! And so we Both blew a massive raspberry, Then tossed it in a gutter! So now we feed on Heaven’s mead, Plus more material stuffs. We take our lives in gentle ease And always sleep as late we please On dandelion puffs.